Washington (CNN) -- Harry Truman's only friend in Washington may have been a dog, but that's probably because he didn't have his loved ones scattered throughout the nation's political infrastructure, as many of today's elected officials and candidates do.
We offer you the following noncomprehensive list.
• Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nevada, is the father of gubernatorial candidate Rory Reid;
• Missouri Democratic Senate candidate Robin Carnahan is the sister of Rep. Russ Carnahan, D-Missouri; they are the children of ex-Sen. Jean Carnahan and the late Gov. Mel Carnahan, both Democrats;
• Rep. Linda Sanchez, D-California, is the sister of Rep. Loretta Sanchez, also D-California;
• Kentucky Republican Senate hopeful Rand Paul is the son of Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas;
• Rep. Mary Bono Mack, R-California, widow of the late Rep. Sonny Bono, a Republican, is married to Rep. Connie Mack IV, R-Florida, son of ex-Sen. Connie Mack III;
• Arizona Republican House candidate Ben Quayle is the son of former Vice President Dan Quayle;
• Rhode Island gubernatorial candidate and ex-Sen. Lincoln Chafee, an independent, is the son of the late John Chafee, a Republican who served as governor and senator;
• Iowa Gov. Chet Culver, a Democrat, is the son of former Democratic Sen. John Culver;
• Iowa Republican gubernatorial candidate Terry Branstad is the cousin of Merrick Garland, an appeals court judge frequently mentioned as a Supreme Court short-lister;
• Missouri Senate candidate and GOP Rep. Roy Blunt is the father of former Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt, a Republican;
• California attorney general and Democratic candidate for governor Jerry Brown is the son of former Gov. Pat Brown, a Democrat, and brother of former state treasurer and former Democratic gubernatorial candidate Kathleen Brown;
• New York attorney general and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Andrew Cuomo is the son of ex-Gov. Mario Cuomo, a Democrat;
• Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, is the daughter of GOP former senator and former governor Frank Murkowski;
• Tennessee Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mike McWherter is the son of ex-Gov. Ned McWherter, a Democrat;
• Senate hopeful Rep. John Boozman, R-Arkansas, is the brother of the late Arkansas Senate candidate Fay Boozman, also a Republican;
• Florida Senate hopeful and Democratic Rep. Kendrick Meek is the son of Democratic former Rep. Carrie Meek of Florida;
• Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin, D-South Dakota, is the granddaughter of former Gov. Ralph Herseth and former South Dakota Secretary of State Lorna Herseth, and the daughter of former state legislator and South Dakota gubernatorial candidate Lars Herseth.