Skip to main content

Three convicted of Australian terror plot

By the CNN Wire Staff
Three men were charged of planning a terror attack on a miliatry base near the Australian city of Sydney.
Three men were charged of planning a terror attack on a miliatry base near the Australian city of Sydney.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The men were accused of planning to gun down soldiers at a base
  • The base is near Sydney
  • The men were arrested in 2009
RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- Three men were convicted of plotting to commit a terror act on a military base in Australia, authorities said Thursday.

The men were charged with planning to attack a base near Sydney using automatic weapons to gun down a number of soldiers. They were also suspected of having ties to al Qaeda and Somali insurgent group Al-Shabaab.

The men were identified by the Australian Associated Press as Wissam Mahmoud Fattal, 34, Saney Edow Aweys, 27, and Nayef El Sayed, 26.

Two other men were cleared of charges, the news agency reported.

The men were arrested in 2009 after hundreds of officers stormed nine Melbourne neighborhoods. At the time, authorities said they had been searching for the men for more than six months.

Australian federal police officials applauded the conviction in a statement released Thursday.

"The investigation provides a clear example of how state and federal police, and the intelligence community are working collaboratively together to combat the threat of terrorism and ensure the safety and security of the Australian public," the police statement said.

Lawyers.com Lexis Nexis Logo

Law firm search