Skip to main content

Judge rules on motions as murder suspect Anthony appears in court

From Nancy Leung, In Session
Casey Anthony has been charged with capital murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter.
Casey Anthony has been charged with capital murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter
  • Her trial is set to start in May
  • Judge says billing and expense records of defense experts do not have to be turned over

Orlando, Florida (CNN) -- The judge in the murder trial of a Florida woman accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter ruled Monday that defense attorneys do not have to give prosecutors contracts, billing and expense records of their expert witnesses.

However, Judge Belvin Perry also ruled that any notes, photographs or video taken by the defense experts in connection to the case do have to be turned over.

The defense also has to provide the prosecution with the subject matter that each expert is planning to testify about.

Perry is presiding in the trial of Casey Anthony, who has been charged with capital murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

The girl was reported missing in July 2008. Caylee's skeletal remains were found in the woods about a quarter-mile from the Anthony home in December 2008, after months of intense searches and speculation.

Anthony appeared in court Monday, in gray slacks and a bright orange top, seemingly engaged and relaxed. She has pleaded not guilty.

Perry told the attorneys in the case to be aware of looming deadline and to expect no more postponements. The trial is set to start in May.

Perry previously ordered that jury selection in the highly publicized case be held in another county, with jurors brought to Orlando when opening statements begin.

Defense attorney Jose Baez has repeatedly complained about pretrial publicity and has asked the judge to limit the release of public records about the case, but Perry has refused.

More than 5,000 pages of documents related to the case have been released, including letters from Anthony's mother and both fan mail and hate mail from the public.

The next hearing in the case is scheduled for late December.