Skip to main content

'Boogie man' sex predator re-arrested an hour after parole

By Alan Duke, CNN
  • Legal efforts to stop Lawrence Brown's release failed
  • Police tailing him from prison arrested him for riding in a car with a woman
  • Brown served 25 of 49 years for kidnapping and molesting two girls
  • A prosecutor says police may have found another victim from the late 1970s

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- A convicted sex offender was re-arrested Wednesday, less than an hour after he was released from a California prison after serving half of a 49-year sentence for kidnapping and molesting two children.

Lawrence Brown allegedly violated his parole because he was riding in a car with a woman, a friend who picked him up from Chino State Prison, the Orange County, California, District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said.

Rackauckas -- who called Brown 'the boogie man of every child and parents' worst nightmare' -- tried but failed to stop Brown's release with a petition filed in court Wednesday afternoon.

Brown, 52, served 25 years of a 49-year-sentence imposed after he was conviction of kidnapping and molesting two girls, ages 7 and 8, in separate incidents in Santa Ana, California in 1983.

"Investigators followed Brown upon his release at approximately 5 p.m. and determined that Brown was in violation of his parole by riding in a vehicle with Ruby Huggler, the Tustin, California woman with whom he previously stayed during his brief parole in April 2010," the district attorney said in written statement.

The district attorney issued a public warning to Orange County residents earlier Wednesday about Brown's expected released from prison.

"A dangerous, violent sex offender will be a free man to walk the streets of Orange County and prey upon our children," Rackauckas said. "Lawrence Brown -- the boogie man of every child and parents' worst nightmare."

The prosecutor said his office learned Tuesday of "new victim" and an investigation has been started. A woman "who may have been a child victim of Brown in the late 1970s" came forward to police, he said.