Skip to main content

Manhunt ends with arrest of Missouri man accused of killing 3 people

By the CNN Wire Staff
  • Missouri police say that Joshua Maylee shot four people -- three fatally -- at two homes
  • He was arrested Thursday, after appearing on a stranger's doorstep
  • The shootings set off a massive manhunt and led to a lockdown at a large hospital
  • The lone surviving shooting victim called 911, and later identified the suspect

(CNN) -- A Missouri man is behind bars, two days after police said he shot four acquaintances -- killing three of them, but not one woman who managed to call 911 after being left for dead.

Joshua Maylee, 23, appeared on a stranger's doorstep Thursday, asking for help for superficial wounds to his hand and foot. The resident then contacted authorities, who subsequently arrested Maylee "without incident," said Sgt. Robert Bruchsaler of the Mid-Missouri Major Case Squad, a regional law enforcement group.

By Thursday evening, cameras showed Maylee in what appeared to be green hospital scrubs and handcuffs being led by police. He is now in a Calloway County jail, said Bruchsaler.

On Tuesday night, though, Maylee's visits to two other homes in Holts Summit, located about 10 miles north of Jefferson City, were marked by extreme violence, according to police.

He first shot Jeffrey W. Werdehausen, 46, and his 41-year-old wife Gina at their home, authorities said. The husband died, but Gina Werdehausen managed to call 911. Gina Werdehausen later directed police to Maylee, and while hospitalized in stable condition, she is expected to recover.

Eugene Pinet, 48, and Jackie Pinet, 57, were fatally shot -- by Maylee, according to Missouri police -- a few hours later inside their home in the same town.

While Bruchsaler would not specifically comment on the suspect's possible motive, he said, "Every victim was connected to him, from negative dealings in the past."

Maylee left town in a Pontiac Bonneville, which police are still trying to find along with other key pieces of evidence, said Bruchsaler.

The shootings triggered a massive manhunt, and strident warnings from police that Bruchsaler was considered armed and dangerous.

University Hospital in Columbia, as well as the Missouri University School of Medicine and the Sinclair School of Nursing, were locked down around noon Thursday, because authorities believed Maylee might try to get into the hospital. That was called off when word of Maylee's arrest in neighboring Cooper County, near highway 179.

Prior to Maylee's capture, Bruchsaler said that "the victims were targeted" and encouraged anyone who'd had any negative dealings with him to "pack up your family and leave the area," according to CNN affiliate KSDK.

His relatively peaceful arrest -- with Maylee giving his name to Cooper County police when they arrived, just before his arrest -- was a surprise to authorities.

"It's not as what was expected," said Bruchsaler.