Skip to main content

New York police shoot, kill man who threatened to 'kill some cops'

By the CNN Wire Staff
  • Man threatens police in calls to emergency center
  • The suspect is hit with a Taser, then shot by police
  • The suspect reportedly had a knife, witnesses say in a police report

New York (CNN) -- A man who called New York City's 911 center twice early Sunday, threatening to "kill some cops," was later shot and killed by police when he charged at responding officers with a knife.

Officers first used a Taser gun on Emmanuel Paulino, 24, then shot him when he continued to lunge at them, according to the New York police department.

He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Transcripts of the calls showed someone ready to pick a fight.

911 Operator: "911 Operator, where is your emergency?"

Suspect: "Yeah, I want you to call the cops cause I'm ready to kill."

911 Operator: "What?"

Suspect: "I'm ready to kill some cops right now."

911 Operator: "You're ready to kill some cops? Where are you?"

Suspect: "Yeah, [lists address], New York, I'm right here, outside."

Operator: "OK so what's going on there?"

Suspect: "Yeah, I'm ready to kill cops right now."

Operator: "Oh, OK."

Suspect: "OK, yeah, get em, I'm [Inaudible] I'll be right here."

The police report says officers responded to the 911 calls of "threats to a police officer" to the 120 block of Vermilyea Avenue where they found Paulino with a knife in his hand.

"The officers verbally identified themselves and ordered the suspect numerous times to drop his weapon. The suspect ignored the police officers' orders," the police report said. "The patrol supervisor (Sergeant) discharged his non lethal Taser at the suspect striking him in the body. The suspect did rip the electrical prongs from his body."

Nine witnesses told investigators they saw him continue to charge at police with a knife before he was hit with the Taser gun, according to the police report.

When Paulino continued to lunge at them, the officers fired their weapons, hitting him several times in the upper body, police said. Paulino was pronounced dead at Columbia Pavilion hospital.