Skip to main content

Friend of missing boy's stepmom appears before grand jury

By the CNN Wire Staff
Kyron Horman, 7, has been missing since June 4.
Kyron Horman, 7, has been missing since June 4.
  • Kyron Horman's stepmother was the last person to see him
  • A close friend of his stepmother's was subpoenaed Monday
  • She has been questioned about her whereabouts on the day Kyron disappeared

(CNN) -- A woman who has been in close contact with the stepmother of a missing Oregon boy was subpoenaed Monday to meet with the grand jury investigating 7-year-old Kyron Horman's disappearance.

Police have not named a suspect in the case, but intense scrutiny has been placed on stepmother Terri Horman, who was the last person to see the boy before he disappeared.

DeDe Spicher is a friend of Terri Horman's who stayed with her after Kyron's biological father filed for divorce shortly after his son's disappearance and moved out of the family home.

In divorce filings, Kaine Horman has said he believes that Terri Horman "is involved in the disappearance of my son Kyron."

Spicher appeared before an investigative grand jury in Portland on Monday, according to her attorney, Chad Stavley.

Stavley, who told HLN that he was retained Friday, said Spicher was not asked any questions by the prosecutor but was ordered to return at a future date.

A statement released Friday by Kaine Horman and Kyron's mother, Desiree Young, described Spicher as someone who "has been in close communication with Terri [and] has been providing Terri with support and advice that is not in the best interests of our son."

The statement also described Spicher as uncooperative in the investigation and "going as far as to suggest to others that may have information regarding Kyron's disappearance not to cooperate as well."

Stavley disputed those comments Monday, saying Spicher has been "extremely cooperative" with police as they executed search warrants on her home and car. He said she also met with the lead investigator in the case last week for more than three hours.

He added that Spicher is not speaking to Terri Horman.

The Oregonian reported that detectives have asked Spicher about her whereabouts June 4, the day Kyron was last seen. According to the newspaper, Spicher was doing gardening work for a Portland homeowner when she "abruptly left about 11:30 a.m." The homeowner tried reaching Spicher on her cell phone, the newspaper reported, but got no answer. Spicher returned to the house about 90 minutes later, the newspaper reported, citing detectives.

Stavley declined to comment Monday on what Spicher was doing during those 90 minutes.

Meanwhile, officials with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office say they believe that "criminal behavior has occurred" in Kyron's disappearance, even as they hold out hope that the boy will be found safe.

"We are continuing to hope Kyron is alive and will proceed under that premise," the office said in response to written questions submitted last week by the media.

Terri Horman has told investigators that she last saw Kyron the morning of June 4 as he walked down the hall toward his second-grade classroom at Skyline Elementary School.

The Sheriff's Office said "significant progress" has been made in the investigation but declined to provide details.

Authorities are scheduled to hold a news conference Tuesday to provide further information.

Tips continue to come in and are pursued if warranted, police said. About 3,300 leads have been developed from the tips, the Sheriff's Office said.

A spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office declined to comment Monday on published reports that an arrest in the case is imminent.

HLN's Natisha Lance and CNN's Gabriel Falcon contributed to this report.