Skip to main content

Files in quarterback's sex assault probe to be released

By the CNN Wire Staff
Click to play
Accuser: 'I said no' to Roethlisberger
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Agents will release dozens of interviews conducted during probe
  • Ben Roethlisberger was cleared of criminal charges
  • Quarterback still got six-game suspension from NFL

(CNN) -- Agents on Wednesday will release dozens of interviews conducted during the investigation of sexual assault allegations against star professional quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger was cleared of criminal wrongdoing in the investigation but was slapped with a six-game suspension from the National Football League for what the league called "detrimental conduct."

The investigative file contains more than 50 DVDs of audio and videotaped interviews and photographs, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said.

The file is sure to provide intimate details of the case that hurled the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback from the sports page to the front page earlier this year.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to Super Bowl titles in 2006 and 2009, faced the threat of criminal charges after a 20-year-old woman accused him of raping her in a Milledgeville, Georgia, bar in March. The quarterback's lawyer said no sexual assault took place, and prosecutors decided in April that they could not prove that a crime had been committed.

Video: Accuser feared temper
Video: 'Happy to put this behind me'
Video: Roethlisberger: Off the hook
RELATED TOPICS

Although prosecutors determined that no charges would be filed, the investigation showed that Roethlisberger had provided underage college students with alcohol, National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell has said.

Along with the suspension, Goodell ordered that Roethlisberger undergo a "comprehensive behavioral evaluation by medical professionals."

The Steelers quarterback is not the only NFL player dealing with allegations of sexual assault.

Seven players from the Green Bay Packers were questioned as part of an investigation into the alleged sexual assaults of two women on June 6, police said.

Six of the men were later released and are not considered suspects. A seventh man, who was not identified, was also questioned and released, and remains under investigation, according to Lake Delton, Wisconsin, Police Chief Thomas Dorner.

Lawyers.com Lexis Nexis Logo

Law firm search