Skip to main content

Police: Suspect in UVA student's death had previous arrest

By the CNN Wire Staff
Click to play
The University of Virginia held a vigil to honor the life of slain lacrosse player Yeardley Love.
  • George Huguely, 22, arrested in death of Yeardley Love; both played lacrosse at UVA
  • Huguely previously arrested in 2008 incident in which he threatened a police officer
  • Officer from 2008 incident said she was forced to use stun gun on Huguely
  • Court records show Huguely pleaded guilty to resisting arrest, public intoxication

(CNN) -- The suspect in the killing of a University of Virginia student was arrested in a 2008 incident in which he threatened a police officer and was shocked with a stun gun, according to a police statement.

George Huguely, 22, was arrested on suspicion of murder Monday, hours after a roommate found Yeardley Love's body in her off-campus apartment in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Huguely, who was also a UVA student until resigning after his arrest, and Love played on the men's and women's lacrosse teams, respectively.

CNN affiliate WDBJ got a police statement recounting an encounter between an intoxicated Huguely and Lexington, Virginia, Police Officer R.L. Moss.

Affidavit: Lacrosse player killed in fight after breakup

Video: UVA suspect had violent history
Video: Defense: Death an accident
Video: UVA student charged with murder

According to the statement, Moss came across Huguely as he stumbled into traffic outside of a fraternity house at Washington and Lee University in Lexington.

After ignoring the officer's calls to stop, Huguely was approached by Moss who, after speaking with Huguely, decided to arrest him for public drunkenness, the statement says.

At that point, Huguely started making threats, including death threats, against the officer, according to the statement.

"He became more aggressive, more physical towards me, started to calling me several other terms that I'm not going to state now," she told WDBJ.

Moss got into a brief "tussle" with Huguely before resorting to her stun gun to get him under control, the statement says.

At a court hearing the next month, Moss wrote she was surprised to learn that Huguely was so intoxicated that he didn't remember being shocked with the stun gun or threatening the police officer.

Court records show that Huguely pleaded guilty to resisting arrest and public intoxication, WDBJ reported. He was given a suspended jail sentence and a fine.