Skip to main content

Suspect in deadly Connecticut home invasion released from hospital

The hospitalization of Steven Hayes, 46, caused a delay in jury selection at his murder trial.
The hospitalization of Steven Hayes, 46, caused a delay in jury selection at his murder trial.
  • Defendent Steven Hayes' lawyer supposed to meet him in prison today, source says
  • Jury selection in his murder trial was delayed Monday after he was hospitalized
  • Hayes was reportedly found unconscious in his cell after overdosing on medication
  • Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky are accused in deadly home invasion that killed three

(CNN) -- A man accused in a deadly 2007 Connecticut home invasion was back in prison Wednesday after being hospitalized earlier this week, delaying jury selection for his trial, according to a person who was in a court hearing.

Defense attorney Thomas Ullmann was to visit his client, Steven Hayes, at the infirmary at MacDougall-Walker prison in Suffield on Wednesday afternoon, according to the source.

The source asked not to be named because of a court-imposed gag order in the case. It was not immediately clear when Hayes was released from the hospital.

The person who was in the courtroom on Wednesday morning told CNN that Superior Court Judge Jon C. Blue has scheduled a 10 a.m. Thursday status meeting on the case with lawyers.

Hayes, 46, is one of two men charged with offenses including felony murder, kidnapping, sexual assault and arson in the July 2007 home invasion in Cheshire, Connecticut.

Prosecutors allege Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky, 29, broke into the home of the Petit family, beat up Dr. William Petit, strangled his 48-year-old wife, Jennifer Hawke-Petit, and set the home ablaze. The couple's two daughters, 17-year-old Hayley Petit and 11-year-old Michaela Petit, died from smoke inhalation.

Ullmann did not immediately return phone calls Wednesday. On Monday, he told CNN that his client was in intensive care but that he did not know why Hayes was hospitalized.

The University of Connecticut Medical Center referred questions Monday to the Connecticut Department of Correction. The department declined comment, citing the gag order.

The Hartford Courant, citing unnamed sources, said Hayes apparently overdosed on medication he receives daily. Blue said in court Monday that Ullmann told him Hayes was found unconscious in his cell, according to the Courant.

Jury selection was postponed and it was not immediately clear when it will resume. Evidence will not be presented until September.

The 2007 home invasion in suburban Cheshire, about 14 miles north of New Haven, shocked Connecticut and attracted the attention of the national media.

The motive in the killings remains unclear. Hayes and Komisarjevsky, who are set to be tried separately, could face the death penalty if convicted.

CNN's Ashley Hayes and Taylor Gandossy contributed to this report.