KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- The governor of the northern Afghan province of Kunduz was slightly wounded Saturday when his car was struck by a roadside bomb, his spokesman told CNN.
Gov. Mohammad Omar was returning from neighboring Takhar Province when the remotely detonated bomb went off, said his spokesman Mahbublah Saydi.
The attack, which happened at 8 a.m. (11:30 p.m. ET), damaged his car and also left his driver slightly wounded, Saydi said.
There were news reports Saturday of a roadside bomb in the southern province of Kandahar, but the Kandahar governor's spokesman told CNN there had been no such attack.
Also Saturday, Afghan and coalition forces in eastern Afghanistan detained three suspected al Qaeda operatives, the U.S. military said.
It happened in the city of Khost, near the border with Pakistan, as the forces were hunting an insurgent known to recruit foreign extremists for attacks in the area, the military said.
"Afghan and coalition forces have had some very successful operations in the last several days -- specifically in the eastern provinces -- and we are not slowing down," said Maj. Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for the Afghan Ministry of Defense. "We will continue to partner with coalition forces and aggressively pursue extremists and the leaders who direct their actions."
The combined forces detained the three suspects without incident, the U.S. military said.
The city of Khost, which lies in the province of the same name, is a hotbed of Taliban activity.
Militants launched a six-hour attack in the city earlier this month that killed nine people and wounded 25 others. The next day, a suicide bomber killed seven people when he drove a car bomb near the entrance of Camp Salerno, a U.S. base, near Khost.
CNN's Tomas Etzler contributed to this report.
All About Afghanistan