KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- At least 14 suspected militants were killed in two separate attacks carried out by coalition and Afghan troops in southern Afghanistan, officials said Sunday.
In the first incident, NATO troops raided a compound in Kandahar province on Saturday where militants were suspected of hiding out, said the province's Deputy Police Chief Abdullah Khan.
Six suspected militants died in the operation, Khan said.
The raid, in the Nakhoni area of the province, was in retaliation to an attack on an Afghan National Army security convoy that Taliban militants were suspected of carrying out earlier in the day, Khan said.
The second incident occurred in Helmand province when a NATO air strike killed eight suspected militants who were traveling in a car, said Daud Ahmadi, the spokesman for the province's governor.
A Taliban spokesman, however, denied the car was carrying any of its members. The victims were civilians, said spokesman Khari Yousaf Hamadi.
Journalist Javed Yazamy contributed to this report