Have you been paying attention to the news? Answer these questions and find out.
1) According to the White House, the first state dinner for a foreign head of state was held by President and Mrs. Grant in 1874 for the king of what nation?
a. Ottoman Empire
2) The dinner for Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was held on the south lawn instead of the state dining room, which President Jackson gave its official name and purpose. What necessary renovations did he order to enable the room to be used for large official gatherings?
a. Put in working toilets
b. Removed the citizens who literally camped out there waiting to be granted an audience
c. Called in exterminators to get rid of the rats living in the walls
d. Removed the horse stables from under its windows
3) This is President Obama's first state dinner. President Clinton hosted almost 30 state visits during his eight years. How many did President George W Bush host?
4) What nation held what it calls its largest air defense drill this week, testing its preparedness to safeguard its nuclear facilities?
a. The United States
5) South Africa is working on setting up special courts to deal with what?
a. Lingering post-apartheid discrimination
b. Sex crimes
c. Governmental corruption
d. Crimes committed during the upcoming soccer World Cup
6) What king dissolved his nation's parliament this week?
a. Abdullah II of Jordan
b. Abdullah of Saudi Arabia
c. Albert II of Belgium
d. Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand
7) Tough economic times can create enmity between former friends. What nation is considering closing the previously open-door immigration policy it has enjoyed with its neighbor for decades?
a. Australia (New Zealand)
b. Switzerland (France)
c. Lebanon (Syria)
d. Kenya (Tanzania)
8) What country intends to require its new immigrants to sign a contract with the state vowing to learn the native language and uphold the nation's values?
a. United States
9) Police in Peru allege that a criminal organization in their country had been murdering people and selling what for thousands of dollars?
a. Their eyes
b. Their brains
c. Their lungs
d. Their fat
10) What world leader stirred up quite some controversy this week when he termed former Ugandan dictator Idi Amin -- a man notorious for his brutality -- a "great nationalist" and a "patriot"?
a. Ahmadinejad of Iran
b. Kim of North Korea
c. Chavez of Venezuela
d. Bashir of Sudan
Answer Key: 1) b 2) d 3) b 4) b 5) d 6) a 7) a 8) d 9) d 10) c