Skip to main content

Videos show FARC captives

  • Story Highlights
  • Most of the captives in the videos have been held for more than 10 years
  • Videos believed recorded in April
  • A captive says authorities should follow up on their success freeing others
  • Captives held by leftist guerrilla group known as FARC
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

BOGOTA, Colombia (CNN) -- Police officers and soldiers held captive by the leftist guerrilla group known as FARC pleaded to Colombian President Alvaro Uribe to negotiate their release in a series of nine proof-of-life videos released Monday.

The videos, obtained by Senator Piedad Cordoba, who has helped negotiate with FARC, or the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, were believed to have been recorded in April.

Nine of the 21 soldiers and police kidnapped by FARC addressed their families and some, the government, in the short videos.

Each captive appeared on a separate video, some with the jungle in the background and others with colored or patterned backdrops.

In his video, Police Sgt. Arbey Delgado said the government had been successful with an operation last year that freed some captives, including former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt and three American contractors, and pleaded with the government to find a way to free them, too.

"Are we not human any more? Are we just animals?" Delgado said in the video.

Most of the policemen and soldiers who appeared in the videos have been in captivity for more than 10 years.

Some family members of the kidnapped officials were not consoled by the proof-of-life videos.

"We don't want more proof, we want them here," said Hilda Duarte, sister of one of the captives.

Journalist Fernando Ramos contributed to this report for CNN

All About ColombiaFARC

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print