GPS READING BLOG
Check out some books and articles that Fareed and his guests are reading this week:
BOOK OF THE WEEK
The Fat Tail: The Power of Political Knowledge for Strategic Investing by Ian Bremmer and Preston Keat. The authors examine how global political risks such as government changes, terrorism, and war, can affect the business world. They provide methods to help corporations and global firms to understand and manage political risk. It is a fascinating look at how to read an ever-changing geo-political landscape.
OUR GUESTS RECOMMEND...
PEGGY NOONAN, author of "Patriotic Grace"
The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor edited by Sally Fitzgerald.
"The author was thinking constantly about God and writing, which she experienced as a vocation and as part of her purpose for living on earth. It's humorous, unpretentious and shows that she knew how to suffer -- but she also knew how to own it."
JON MEACHAM, author of "American Lion"
The Lords of Finance by Liaquat Ahamed
"It's about how we got into the last great depression, and it contains good lessons on how to avoid this new one."
Losing Mum & Pup by Christopher Buckley.
"It's an honest and funny memoir about growing up with two famous parents and losing them both within a year."
MALCOLM GLADWELL, author of "Outliers"
Science and Government ~ The Godkin Lectures at Harvard University, 1960 by C.P. Snow.
"The story actually comes from a lecture that Snow gave at Harvard. It's about how two of Churchill's top advisors were feuding about whether or not Great Britain should bomb Germany and fought for his ear. He's basically saying that the wrong guy won. It's so good and reads like a novel."
GPS REQUIRED READING
Here are some book suggestions compiled by both Fareed and the GPS staff. Enjoy!
• "The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power" by David E. Sanger.
• "Left in Dark Times" by Bernard-Henri Levy.
• "The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World" by Niall Ferguson.
• "The Wise Men" by Walter Isaacson.
• "The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright
• "Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found" by Suketu Mehta.
• "Imagining India: The Idea of a Nation Renewed" by Nandan Nilekani
• "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell
• "Power Rules: How Common Sense Can Rescue American Foreign Policy" by Leslie Gelb