Skip to main content

Guerrillas flee FARC camp with abductees

  • Story Highlights
  • Colombian government offers rewards to guerrillas if they surrender, free hostages
  • FARC rebels leave their camp at dawn with teen and adult kidnap victims
  • Guerrillas have escaped with kidnap victims five times in the past month
  • Next Article in World »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

BOGOTA, Colombia (CNN) -- Two guerrillas fled their camp Tuesday deep in the forests of southern Colombia with two kidnap victims that they used in exchange for their freedom, a spokesman for the Ministry of Defense said Tuesday.

The Colombian government has recently stepped up pressure on rebels from the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), offering rewards to the guerrillas if they surrender and free their hostages.

The incident occurred at dawn, when two members left the camp with a 14-year-old boy and an adult man, both of whom had been kidnapped in December. The rebels brought the two victims to Medellin del Ariari in Meta Department, south of Bogota, the spokesman said.

The guerrillas identified themselves by their aliases, "David" and "Ernesto."

Guerrillas now have escaped with kidnap victims five times in the past month.

The Colombian government says the FARC's military force has been severely compromised in recent months, but authorities still accuse it of trafficking huge quantities of cocaine to finance its decades-old insurgency.

The government says 3,000 people remain kidnapped in Colombia and the FARC is responsible for 700 of them.

In July, former presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt was freed from her FARC holders, along with three American military contractors and 11 Colombian police and military members in a daring escape attempt staged by Colombian authorities posing as FARC rebels.

CNN's Fernando Ramos contributed to this story.

All About FARCColombiaIngrid Betancourt

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print