Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Police officer who shot Fort Hood suspect says she's 'doing well'

Defense Secretary Robert Gates meets with civilian police Sgt. Kimberly Munley at a Fort Hood hospital Tuesday.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates meets with civilian police Sgt. Kimberly Munley at a Fort Hood hospital Tuesday.
  • Pair who responded to gunfire at processing center say day of shooting started as a typical one
  • Sgt. Kimberly Munley suffered three gunshot wounds in the November 5 shooting
  • Oprah Winfrey spoke with her and another first responder, Sgt. Mark Todd
  • "Every day is a progress for me," says Munley, who's in good condition at a hospital

Killeen, Texas (CNN) -- The civilian police officer hailed as a heroine for ending the shooting rampage at Fort Hood Army Post said Wednesday she was washing her patrol car just before she headed to the bloody scene.

Sgt. Kimberly Munley was cleaning the car and topping off the gas tank, routine duties at the end of her shift, when she heard the report last Thursday that shots had been fired at the Army post, she told Oprah Winfrey via teleconference.

The brief interview was taped to air later in the day on "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

Police Senior Sgt. Mark Todd also responded to the scene, where he said they were directed to the Soldier Readiness Processing Center, where soldiers were preparing to deploy to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Both Munley and Todd didn't know what they were about to face.

"The entire incident was very confusing and chaotic," Munley said. "There was many people outside pointing to the direction that this individual was apparently located, and as soon as I got out of my vehicle and ran up the hill was when things got pretty bad."

Video: Victim describes shooting
Video: Hasan's attorney speaks
Video: Gates on Fort Hood tragedy
Video: Fort Hood remembers the fallen
  • Fort Hood
  • Shootings
  • U.S. Army

Once inside, Munley, who has been trained in active-response tactics, began exchanging fire with the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a military psychiatrist, authorities said. They said her shots disabled Hasan and halted the attacks.

Thirteen people -- 12 soldiers and one civilian -- were killed.

Munley suffered three gunshot wounds, in both thighs and a knuckle, and remains at Metroplex Adventist Hospital in good condition, authorities said.

"The training does take over," she said when asked about her quick reactions. "In that particular incident, we didn't have much time to think."

"When I got shot, it felt like a muscle being torn out of my leg," she told Winfrey, and added, "I'm doing well."

"Every day is a progress for me, and things are getting better day by day. And emotionally, I'm just hoping that the rest of the officers and the injured and the families of the deceased are healing as well."

Winfrey showed a clip of Metroplex's Dr. Kelly Matlock saying that Munley's first words after the shooting were, "Did anybody die?"

The 34-year-old mother of two said she recalled asking that, and she never lost consciousness after being shot.

"I was very concerned as to who else had been injured," Munley said.

Todd was not injured in the rampage. He said he has been a police officer for 25 years and, before that, was in the Army. This was the first time he had been forced to fire his weapon on the job, he said.

He also said last Thursday began as a "typical day" for him, with only minor incidents.

At first, when he heard the shots from Fort Hood, he thought the soldiers were practicing the traditional rifle volleys they do at memorial services.

During the incident, Todd said he fired his gun over and over as he'd been trained to do.

Munley, whose husband is in the Army, is 5 feet, 2 inches tall and weighs 125 pounds.

Winfrey asked her where she got her nickname, "Mighty Mouse." Munley said her partner at a police department in North Carolina called her that after she was able to help when he was being wrestled for his weapon. The nickname stuck.

Todd said he was grateful that he was able to return safely home to his family at the end of that day.

"I just thank God he missed me," he said.

Part of complete coverage on
Congress opens probe into shootings
A key congressional panel opened its probe into the Fort Hood shootings with a pledge to find out if authorities could have prevented the attack.
Purple Hearts proposed for victims
Military victims of the Fort Hood massacre could receive the Purple Heart if Congress passes a bill introduced by a Texas representative.
Suspect charged with murder
Maj. Nidal Hasan has been charged with 13 preliminary counts of premeditated murder stemming from the Fort Hood shootings, the Army said.
Obama: Killings 'incomprehensible'
President Obama led a memorial service for the 13 people killed in the massacre at the largest military installation in the U.S.
Hasan wanted an out for Muslims
The Fort Hood suspect urged in 2007 that Muslims in the Army be allowed to claim "conscientious objector" status, an official said.
Soldier did 'what I'm trained to do'
Pvt. Joseph Foster was filling out routine paperwork when he heard a shout quickly followed by a burst of gunfire from just a few feet away.
Investigators look for missed signals
Investigators believe the Fort Hood suspect acted alone, but U.S. intelligence agencies flagged his communications in 2008, the FBI said.
Slain civilian loved work, family
Members of Michael Cahill's family said they know had he not been killed, he would have been trying to save the lives of the wounded.