Skip to main content

Petrov goal rescues point for Manchester City

  • Story Highlights
  • Martin Petrov scores equalizer as Manchester City draw 1-1 at Wigan Athletic
  • Petrov levels early in second half after Charles N'Zogbia had given Wigan lead
  • City finish the game with 10 men after defender Pablo Zabaleta was dismissed
  • Blackburn beat neighbors Burnley 3-2 in Sunday's other Premier League game
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Bulgarian winger Martin Petrov scored a second-half equalizer to rescue a point for big-spending Manchester City in a 1-1 English Premier League draw at Wigan on Sunday.

Martin Petrov celebrates his equalizing goal as Manchester City drew 1-1 at Wigan on Sunday.

Martin Petrov celebrates his equalizing goal as Manchester City drew 1-1 at Wigan on Sunday.

Petrov found the net a minute after the break after Carlos Tevez's ball across the area was missed by team-mate Shaun Wright-Phillips and the Wigan defence.

Wigan had taken the lead in the final minute of the first half when Charles N'Zogbia slotted the ball home from close range after goalkeeper Shay Given had parried Jason Scotland's angled drive.

City had to play the final 25 minutes with 10 men after Argentine Pablo Zabaleta was dismissed for two bookable offences -- and they had Given to thank for keeping the scores level when the Irish international superbly saved Hugo Rodallega's close-range volley.

In the day's other Premier League match, Blackburn beat local rivals Burnley 3-2 in the first top-flight meeting of the Lancashire neighbors for 43 years.

Visitors Burnley took an early lead when Robbie Blake, who scored a superb winner to beat Manchester United earlier in the season, repeated the trick with a fierce 25-year strike.

However, Blackburn levelled in the ninth minute when Morten Gamst Pedersen crossed the ball into the area and a clever flick by Franco Di Santo released David Dunn, who scored from close range.

Blackburn went ahead in the 22nd minute when on-loan Chelsea striker Di Santo took advantage of Graham Alexander's misplaced clearance to score his first goal for the club.

The home side extended their lead in the 43rd minute when Keith Andrews picked out Pedersen on the left and he released Pascal Chimbonda on the overlap.

The former Tottenham full-back got away from Steven Fletcher and cut into the area before finding the corner with his effort.

Burnley tired to fight back in an entertaining game and scored a consolation goal in injury time when Chris Eagles netted from close range following a cross from Stephen Jordan.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print