(CNN) -- Former Italy coach Roberto Donadoni has paid the price for Napoli's poor start to the season, being sacked by the Serie A club on Tuesday after just seven months in charge.
Roberto Donadoni struggled to make an impact in his first club role since being sacked as Italy boss.
The 46-year-old, who took over from Edoardo Reja in March, will be replaced by former Sampdoria coach Walter Mazzarri.
The Naples outfit dropped to 15th in the table following Sunday's 2-1 defeat at Roma, the team's fourth defeat in seven league outings this season.
That left Donadoni, who was contracted until June 2011, with a record of just four victories in 17 games at the helm of the Azzurri.
The Napoli job was his first since being sacked as Italy boss following a disappointing showing at the finals of Euro 2008, losing to eventual winners Spain on penalties in the quarterfinals.
"Napoli announce they have released Roberto Donadoni from the role of head coach and appointed in his place Walter Mazzarri," the club said in a statement.
"The club want to thank Donadoni for the work done in these months and wish him the best of luck for the future."
Donadoni is the second Serie A coach to lose his job this season, after Roma replaced Luciano Spalletti's with Claudio Ranieri last month.
"It was a decision that had to be taken in order to give a new spark to the Azzurri season and for the future of the team," said Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis.
The 47-year-old Mazzarri's first match in charge will be against Bologna on October 18, and he will be unveiled at a press conference on Wednesday -- no terms of his appointment have been released, but he is expected to sign until June 2011.
He has been been out of work since leaving Sampdoria at the end of last season, having led the Genoese club to the Italian Cup final and a 13th-placed finish in the league -- deemed to be a disappointment after qualifying for the UEFA Cup the previous campaign.
Mazzarri has previously been in charge of Livorno and Reggina.