Skip to main content

Portsmouth break duck with Wolves win

  • Story Highlights
  • Portsmouth beat Wolves 1-0 for first English Premier League points of season
  • Third-placed Tottenham Hotspur held 2-2 at Bolton who led twice
  • Hull score much-needed 2-1 home win over Wigan Athletic
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Rock-bottom and financially troubled Portsmouth secured their first English Premier League victory and points of the season at their eighth attempt with a 1-0 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

Yebda celebrates his 19th minute goal for Pompey which proved the winner at Molineux.

Yebda celebrates his 19th minute goal for Pompey which proved the winner at Molineux.

The winning goal came after 19 minutes from midfielder Hassan Yebda, who is on loan from Portuguese side Benfica.

Yebda headed home Kevin-Prince Boateng's cross to at least lift some of the mood of pessimism which surrounds the south-coast of England club.

The players wages went unpaid last week and despite new owner Sulaiman Al Fahim is being treated for an acute kidney infection while attempting to refinance the club.

Newly-promoted Wolves pressed hard for an equalizer and it needed superb saves from England international goalkeeper David James to preserve the three points for Pompey, who are a point behind 19th-placed West Ham but have played two games more.

At the other end of the table, Tottenham Hotspur twice came from a goal down to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw at Bolton Wanderers.

It leaves them in third place on 16 points from eight games, but they will be ruing a string of missed chances in the second half, with Peter Crouch the chief culprit for the failure to secure the maximum three points.

Ricardo Gardner put Bolton ahead in the fourth minute after goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini could only parried Lee Chung-Yong's shot.

Spurs equalized in the 34th minute against the run of play when Croatia midfielder Niko Kranjcar scored his first goal for his new club from a Crouch knockdown.

Kevin Davies gave Bolton a 2-1 lead in the 69th minute with a firm header, but after Crouch missed a golden opportunity to level, Vedran Corluka quickly scored from Kranjcar's corner.

Wigan, who beat second-placed Chelsea last weekend, came down to earth with a 2-1 defeat at Hull.

Dutch striker Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Geovanni put Phil Brown's men two-up in the second half, but Scott Sinclair's late header for Wigan ensured a frantic finish.

Newly-promoted Burnley continued their superb home form with a 2-1 win over Birmingham, who came up with them last term.

Second half goals from Steven Fletcher and Andre Bikey lit up Turf Moor before Sebastian Larsson pulled one back for the visitors on the final whistle.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print