Skip to main content

Barry penalty rescues draw for Aston Villa

  • Story Highlights
  • Gareth Barry scores controversial penalty as Aston Villa draw 3-3 with Everton
  • Villa fight back from 2-0 and 3-1 behind to remain fifth in Premier League table
  • Fulham come from behind to defeat Manchester City 3-1 in day's other match
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry converted a controversial penalty as Martin O'Neill's side recovered from 2-0 and 3-1 down to draw 3-3 with Everton and remain just ahead of their Premier League rivals in fifth position in the table.

Gareth Barry fires home Aston Villa's equalizer in their thrilling 3-3 draw with Everton on Sunday.

Gareth Barry fires home Aston Villa's equalizer in their thrilling 3-3 draw with Everton on Sunday.

Barry earned the home side a share of the spoils in a thrilling contest after defender Joleon Lescott caught Stiliyan Petrov in the face with his boot while attempting to clear from the penalty area.

However, the result did little for the chances of either side in their attempts to overhaul fourth-placed Arsenal for the final Champions League qualification position.

Villa have now gone 10 games without a win in all competitions and Everton are still without an away league victory in 2009.

Everton went ahead in the 20th minute when Leighton Baines crossed from the left for Belgian midfielder Marouane to tap home his eighth goal of the season from close range.

And they doubled that lead just two minutes later when Tim Cahill nodded home after his initial header from Steven Pienaar's corner struck the crossbar.

Football Fanzone
Football fans, the chance to have YOUR say on CNN is here!

Jon Carew pulled a goal back for Villa after Barry had deflected James Milner's center back across goal, but Everton restored their two-goal advantage eight minutes after the break when Pienaar curled home a superb 20-yard strike.

However, Villa fought back superbly and Milner matched Pienaar when curling a free-kick past goalkeeper Tom Howard.

They completed their fightback when Barry hammered home from the penalty spot after Lescott caught Petrov in the face.

Meanwhile, in the day's other match, Manchester City manager Mark Hughes' decision to leave record signing Robinho on the substitutes' bench backfired as his team were booed off following a 3-1 home defeat to Fulham.

Stephen Ireland put City ahead with a deflected effort but Clint Dempsey scored twice, either side of a fine Dickson Etuhu volley, as Fulham kept up their pursuit of a UEFA Cup place with only their second away victory of the season.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print