(CNN) -- Steven Gerrard pleaded not guilty to a charge of affray on the same day he agreed a two-year extension to his current contract at Premier League Liverpool.
Gerrard leaves Liverpool Crown Court after his brief appearance.
England midfielder Gerrard appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on Friday morning to enter his plea before the trial was adjourned to July 20.
Gerrard appeared with six other men -- accused of being part of a group that injured businessman Marcus McGee, 34, in a nightclub fight in Southport -- a suburb of Liverpool -- in the early hours of December 29 last year.
The alleged incident occurred as the 28-year-old Gerrard celebrated Liverpool's 5-1 thrashing of Newcastle which left them top of the Premier League.
He had signaled his intention to deny the charges at an earlier appearance in a magistrates court in March where a more serious assault charge against him was dropped.
Affray carries a maximum three-year jail term.
Gerrard, dressed in a single-breasted dark blue suit, spoke only to register his plea before leaving the court on conditional bail.
As he made his appearance, Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez was announcing that his star player had signed a new deal which ties him to Anfield until 2013.
Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "Steven's new contract is fantastic news for the club.
"Steven has once again shown his commitment and it was an easy deal to agree. As soon as we offered him the option he said yes.
"There were no problems at all. He wants to stay for life."
Gerrard has played a key role as Liverpool have revived their title challenge to current Premier League leaders Manchester United and he is expected to turn out as they bid to regain top spot by avoiding defeat at Fulham on Saturday.
Gerrard's Dutch international teammate Dirk Kuyt also signed a new deal on Friday to link him contractually until 2012.