Skip to main content

Mido penalty halts Liverpool title charge

  • Story Highlights
  • Liverpool's Premier League title challenge suffers blow after 1-1 draw at Wigan
  • Chelsea second behind Manchester United with a 2-0 win over Middlesbrough
  • Robin Van Persie scores a last-gasp equalizer as Arsenal draw 1-1 at Everton
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Liverpool's Premier League title challenge took a heavy blow as Egyptian striker Mido scored a late penalty on his debut to give Wigan a 1-1 draw on Wednesday.

Mido (left) scored a vital equalizer on his Wigan debut to dent Liverpool's Premier League title challenge.

Mido (left) scored a vital equalizer on his Wigan debut to dent Liverpool's Premier League title challenge.

Mido, who is on loan from Middlesbrough, sent goalkeeper Jose Reina the wrong way from the spot with nine minutes remaining after Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva had fouled Jason Koumas in the area.

Fernando Torres headed against the post from Steven Gerrard's cross before Yossi Benayoun put the visitors ahead in the 41st minute.

Javier Mascherano's through-ball picked out the Israeli's run and he skipped past keeper Mike Pollitt before finding the net from the tightest of angles, the ball shaving the near post on its way.

"We controlled the game but the second half was crazy," Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez told Sky Sports. "When a game goes crazy anything can happen -- and it did."

The draw leaves Liverpool two points behind league leaders Manchester United, who have a game in hand on all their title rivals.

Chelsea moved back up to second place, ahead of Liverpool on goal difference, after Salomon Kalou's double gave them a 2-0 win over Middlesbrough.

Football Fanzone
Football fans, the chance to have YOUR say on CNN is here!

Boro failed to clear Frank Lampard's corner and Kalou lashed a volley into the roof of the net from inside the area after 58 minutes. The Ivory Coast international sealed the win in the 81st minute with a close-range header.

Manchester City added to Newcastle's relegation worries with a 2-1 home win.

Robinho, starting after a week plagued by off-field concerns, played in Shaun Wright-Phillips to fire the opening goal under Steve Harper in the 17th minute.

Things went from bad to worse for Joe Kinnear's side when England striker Michael Owen went off injured in the 19th minute and Craig Bellamy, on his debut, netted 13 minutes from time with a smart finish from the edge of the area to double City's lead.

Andy Carroll's tap-in after David Edgar had robbed Wayne Bridge, and sent in a low cross, gave Newcastle hope of snatching a point -- but the home side held on.

Arsenal's faint title hopes faded even further despite Robin van Persie's stoppage-time equalizer in a 1-1 draw against Everton at Goodison Park.

The Dutchman controlled Abou Diaby's long ball on the left side of the area before crashing a fine shot inside the far post.

Tim Cahill's towering header from Leighton Baines' left-wing cross, which he directed back across Manuel Almunia, had given Everton a 61st-minute lead.

West Ham continued their bid for a UEFA Cup place with a 2-0 home win over Hull. They missed the chance to go ahead in the 21st minute when Carlton Cole was fouled in the area but debutant goalkeeper Matt Duke dived to his left to brilliantly claw away Mark Noble's penalty with one hand.

But the Hammers did take the lead 11 minutes later when David Di Michele fired Cole's inswinging cross from the left into the roof of the net at the back post.

Cole doubled the hosts' lead six minutes after the break when he stabbed the ball into an open goal after Di Michele's angled shot from the left had come back off the near post.

Benni McCarthy made up for an earlier penalty miss with an 87th-minute equalizer to earn Blackburn a 2-2 draw with Bolton, which leaves Rovers a point above the drop zone.

The South African scrambled the ball in after Christopher Samba's knock-down had been played across the face of goal by Jason Roberts.

McCarthy had earlier seen his penalty saved by Jussi Jaaskelainen after Stephen Warnock's 66th-minute drive brought Rovers back into the game at 2-1.

In the first half, Ariza Makukula drove the ball across the face of goal and Matthew Taylor got to the ball ahead of Andre Ooijer at the far post to sidefoot home a 12th-minute opener for Bolton.

Kevin Davies made it two 10 minutes before the break when he reacted quickest to score from close-range after Rovers keeper Paul Robinson had superbly blocked his initial effort.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print