Skip to main content

Boyd double gives Rangers title hope

  • Story Highlights
  • Rangers close title gap on Celtic to five points with 3-0 win at Inverness
  • Kris Boyd hit two goals after Pedro Mendes opened scoring for Rangers
  • Celtic held to 2-2 home draw by third-placed Dundee United at Parkhead
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Kris Boyd hit two goals in the final 10 minutes as Rangers closed the gap on Scottish Premier League Celtic to five points with a 3-0 win at Inverness on Sunday.

A stunning strike from Pedro Mendes had put Rangers on course for victory and Boyd made sure after Inverness were left to rue missed opportunities in the first half.

Mendes opened the scoring with a superb shot from the edge of the area within a minute of the restart as Rangers took advantage after Celtic gave up a two-goal lead to be held to a surprise 2-2 draw by Dundee United on Saturday.

The weekend results give rivals Rangers a glimmer of hope in the title race having looked set to be trailing by 10 points ahead of Sunday's game match.

Rangers were beaten by 1-0 Celtic in the Old Firm Derby over the Christmas period.

Celtic's Greek striker Georgios Samaras scored in the 12th and 57th minutes to give the champions a comfortable lead at Parkhead.

Football Fanzone
Football fans, the chance to have YOUR say on CNN is here!

But United left-back Paul Dixon reduced the deficit on the hour mark with a brilliant free-kick and then substitute Warren Feeney equalized to set up an anxious finish for the home fans.

It was a superb point for United, who are in third in the Scottish standings behind the established top two and heading for European football next season.

Hearts, stay in fourth, three points behind but with a game in hand after being held 0-0 in the Edinburgh derby by Hibernian.

In other matches on Saturday, Hamilton moved off the bottom by shocking fifth-placed Aberdeen 2-0, while Falkirk drew 1-1 with Kilmarnock and St. Mirren drew 0-0 with Motherwell.

It was the final game at St. Mirren's Love Street ground.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print