(CNN) -- Australia battled to a draw in the second Test against the West Indies in Adelaide on Tuesday to retain the Frank Worrell Trophy.
Australia led the best-of-three series 1-0 after their victory in the first Test in Brisbane, but the tourists restored their pride and came close to leveling the series on the final day.
Chasing an unlikely 330 for victory, the home side slumped to 139 for five wickets and needed a sixth wicket unbroken stand of 73 between Michael Clarke (61 not out) and Brad Haddin (20 not out) to save the day.
All-rounder Dwayne Bravo led the West Indies victory charge with three wickets for 37, but Clarke and Haddin battled out for an hour and a half to spare the home side's blushes.
Earlier, West Indies had been bowled out in their second innings for 317 with captain Chris Gayle 165 not out and Mitchell Johnson taking five wickets.
Gayle became the first West Indian captain to carry his bat through an innings and then saw his bowlers, led by Bravo, make steady inroads into the home side's batting line up, including the prize scalp of his counterpart Ricky Ponting.
He played on for 20 to Ravi Rampaul and dangerman Shane Watson went two short of his half century to Darren Sammy.
Bravo took the other wickets to fall and his double after tea to remove Mike Hussey and Marcus North left Australia in trouble until Clarke and wicketkeeper Haddin batted out time.
Gayle was disappointed not to force a victory, but said his team had done him proud after an innings defeat at The Gabba.
"We played some good quality cricket and it was just unfortunate we couldn't come out with a win," he said.
"The way we rebounded from the last game to put in this kind of effort, it's really good to see," added Gayle.
Meanwhile, umpire Mark Benson has denied reports that his withdrawal from the second Test was because of displeasure at the referral system in use in Adelaide.
Benson flew home to England after the first day amid media speculation that he was unhappy because two of his decisions had been challenged by the new system, which relies on TV replays.
"I felt that due to my general health, I was not up to the task and felt it was in the best interests of the game, the ICC and myself that I step down and hand over to my colleague on the elite panel, Asad Rauf," 51-year- old Benson said in a statement released by the International Cricket Council.
He also denied he had resigned from the ICC's elite group of umpires.