WINDERMERE, Florida (CNN) -- Tiger Woods canceled a meeting with Florida State police for the third time on Sunday after issuing a statement in which he said the car crash outside his luxury home was his own fault.
Woods was also moved to hit out at the "false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me," following the single-vehicle accident, which occurred early Friday in his luxury neighborhood near Orlando.
In the statement issued on his personal Web site, Woods offered no details of his wreck except to say he had cuts and bruises and was "pretty sore."
"This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me," he said. "I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again."
The 33-year-old golf legend is the world's richest sportsman after winning 14 majors and a string of other golf titles. Opinion: No bad thing that Woods reveals himself as mere mortal
According to a police report, he pulled out of his driveway about 2:25 a.m. Friday in a 2009 Cadillac SUV and struck a fire hydrant, then a tree.
Authorities have said they don't have details on why Woods was driving away from his home at such an early hour, but a police report said the wreck was not alcohol-related.
State troopers have asked to question him three times about the wreck, Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Montes told CNN.
Under Florida law, Woods must show his license, registration and proof of insurance to police but is not obligated to give a statement on the crash.
"If we're unable to meet with him, we'll move on with our investigation," Montes said. But she called the delays "very unusual, because it's such a minor accident."
In his statement, Woods praised his wife, Elin Nordegren, whom he said "acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble."
Nordegren told police she used a golf club to break out the rear window of the vehicle, then pulled Woods from the SUV after she heard the accident from inside their home.
But he said, "This is a private matter, and I want to keep it that way." And he added, "The only person responsible for the accident is me."
Woods and his wife have two children, a two-year-old and a baby born in February.
The statement did not address whether he would be fit to play in this week's Chevron World Challenge in California which he hosts.
Woods is a four-time winner of the tournament, which helps raise money for Tiger Woods Foundation programs. Profile: Tiger Woods
In a further development on Sunday, Florida Highway Patrol released a recording of the 911 call made after the crash in which Woods' neighbors are featured.
The audio quality is poor but a man can be heard saying: "I need an ambulance immediately, I have someone down in front of my house.
The caller adds: "It is a car accident, yes...They are lying on the ground."
But the operators later ask if anyone can open the car doors. A woman can be heard in the background asking urgently, "What happened?" and the caller sounds shocked and disorientated by the incident.
State troopers also attempted to interview Woods and his wife on Saturday but were told he was unavailable.
The day before they were told by his wife he was sleeping and postponed their visit.
Woods won six times on the PGA Tour this year after returning to the circuit following knee surgery after his 2008 U.S. Open triumph.
His latest triumph came in the Australian Masters tournament earlier this month.
CNN's Kim Segal, Susan Candiotti and Ross Levitt contributed to this report.