Skip to main content

Australia retain Champions Trophy in style

  • Story Highlights
  • Australia crowned Champions Trophy winners after ton from Shane Watson
  • Watson hits unbeaten 105 from 129 balls to beat New Zealand by six wickets
  • Earlier, New Zealand had struggled onto 200 for nine off their allotted 50 overs
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Shane Watson's second hundred in a week sealed Champions Trophy glory for defending champions Australia as they clinched a six-wicket win over New Zealand in the final in Centurion.

Shane Watson scored another superb century to help Australia defend the Champions Trophy.

Shane Watson scored another superb century to help Australia defend the Champions Trophy.

Watson hit an unbeaten 105 from 129 balls, getting to his landmark and securing victory with consecutive sixes off Jeetan Patel, following his man-of-the-match performance against England three days ago.

Ricky Ponting's Australians, who have been in imperious one-day form since losing the Ashes to England, were rocked by the fall of two early wickets in pursuit of a 201-run target.

But they got home in the 46th over thanks largely to Watson's 128-run stand with Cameron White (62) -- eventually reaching 206-4 to become the first country to win the title twice.

Watson crashed seven sixes in his 136 not out against Andrew Strauss' side and showed the advantage of being able to clear the rope once again, doing so four times on the same surface used for Friday's semifinal.

The ease with which Australia eventually broke down their opponents was not apparent during the initial stages of their innings when Tim Paine and Ponting were dismissed inside the first three overs, caught at slip off Shane Bond, and leg before to Kyle Mills respectively.

With Australia still behind the clock in their rebuilding phase on 41 for two in the 18th over, wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum's failure to cling on to a skier from White arguably proved the pivotal moment.

The Black Caps' innings got off to a terrible start when stand-in captain McCullum was caught behind for a duck, attempting to cut a delivery too close to him off Peter Siddle.

Second-wicket duo Martin Guptill and Aaron Redmond then shared a 61-run stand but by the 15-over mark had reached just 50-1.

Guptill and Redmond then succumbed to off-spinner Nathan Hauritz in quick succession as they tried to up the run-rate.

Ross Taylor was brilliantly caught by Michael Hussey to leave New Zealand on 90-4 and when Grant Elliott, the hero of their chase against Pakistan in Saturday's semifinal, was lbw to Brett Lee, the innings threatened to implode.

But Neil Broom and James Franklin reacted to the loss of four wickets for 28 runs to put on a 65-run stand as the Kiwis eventually reached 200-9 in their 50 overs.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print