Skip to main content

Werder and Marseille through to last eight

  • Story Highlights
  • Werder Bremen reach quarterfinals of the UEFA Cup after beating St Etienne
  • The Bundesliga club draw 2-2 on night to move into last eight 3-2 on aggregate
  • Werder go 2-0 up and go through despite French side scoring twice after break
  • Tyrone Mears scores decisive goal as Marseille put out Ajax Amsterdam
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Bundesliga side Werder Bremen are through to the quarterfinals of the UEFA Cup, despite St Etienne fighting back to draw 2-2 on the night.

Sebastien Prodl celebrates putting Werder Bremen ahead on Wednesday night.

Sebastien Prodl celebrates putting Werder Bremen ahead on Wednesday night.

Werder won their home first leg 1-0 last week, and within six minutes whey had doubled their lead when Sebastien Prodl powerfully headed home a corner from Torsten Frings.

The visitors added a second goal in the 27th minute when Claudio Pizarro headed Mesut Ozil's left-wing cross into the bottom corner of the net. It was the on-loan Chelsea striker's fifth goal in Europe this season.

The French side now needed four goals to progress, a mountain that proved impossible to climb, however, they restored some pride with a superb second-half recovery.

Football Fanzone
Football fans, the chance to have YOUR say on CNN is here!

Another header, this time from Yohan Benalouane, saw the home side pull a goal back in the 64th minute. Then, in injury time, substitute Sebastien Grax fired a low shot past goalkeeper Tim Wiese.

However, Werder were always in control, and they take their place in Friday's quarterfinal draw.

Marseille also claimed their place in the last eight after an injury time goal from Tyrone Mears saw them beat Ajax Amsterdam 4-3 on aggregate.

Marseille won the first leg 2-1 but were trailing by the same margin in Amsterdam with the tie set for extra time until Mears headed home the equalizer on the night.

Eyong Enoh gave Ajax the lead in the 33rd minute, but Mamadou Niang responded for Marseille just two minutes later.

Miralem Sulejmani put Ajax ahead again in the 74th minute, but Mears, the only Englishman playing in the French top flight, then settled it.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print