Skip to main content

South Africa take slight edge after day one

  • Story Highlights
  • South Africa hold slight advantage after first day of third Test against Australia
  • The home side end on 267-6 after a fascinating day at Sydney Cricket Ground
  • Australia looking to avoid their first home series whitewash defeat in 122 years
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- South Africa took the opening honors in the third Test, leaving Australia on 267 for six following an absorbing first day's play at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Michael Clarke is unbeaten on 73 as Australia ended the first day of the third Test on 267 for six.

Michael Clarke is unbeaten on 73 as Australia ended the first day of the third Test on 267 for six.

The hosts will resume day two with Michael Clarke (73) and Mitchell Johnson (17) continuing the challenge of pushing their side past 300.

Only Clarke, who made his first Test half-century at the venue, offered any real resistance as four batsmen perished after reaching 30 on a pitch containing no obvious movement.

The Australia vice-captain, who was dropped on 12 and 69, has been at the crease for 235 minutes, stroking nine fours in a patient knock.

Clarke and Brad Haddin (38) put on 75 for the sixth wicket and looked to have done enough to ensure Australia would end the opening day in reasonable shape.

But the introduction of the second new ball brought about the downfall of Haddin, who played around a Dale Steyn delivery to be bowled minutes before stumps. Steyn was the pick of the Proteas' bowlers, finishing with two for 71 from 21 overs.

Australia won the toss and elected to bat first under overcast skies before a healthy crowd of 37,901, but the home side lost Simon Katich (47) and Ricky Ponting (0) during a tense first session.

Katich looked in good touch in racing to 47 from 52 balls before pushing forward at a Jacques Kallis delivery and edging a catch to AB de Villiers at second slip.

One run later, Ponting was on his way for a first-ball duck. Morne Morkel got a ball to seam back, catching the inside edge of the Australia captain's bat and presenting wicketkeeper Mark Boucher with the catch.

Matthew Hayden, fighting to save his Test career, made his way cautiously to 31 before chasing a wide delivery from Steyn and dragging the ball onto his stumps.

The Queenslander cut a dejected figure as his made his way off the ground, the big first-day crowd giving him a rousing send-off in the knowledge he may have batted at international level for the last time. Hayden's dismissal left Australia shaky at 109 for three.

With the score on 130, Michael Hussey -- who had fought hard to get to 30 -- edged Paul Harris to Kallis at slip and was on his way back to the pavilion.

Harris celebrated the wicket wildly but appeared to twist a knee after leaping through the air in delight. While he was off the field receiving attention, Andrew McDonald arrived at the crease for his debut innings and was immediately struck on the body by a 142km/h thunderbolt from Morkel.

He was lucky to survive beyond five after his helmet was dislodged and almost crashed back on his stumps while attempting to dodge a Morkel bouncer.

McDonald moved onto 15 before he was caught behind off Makhaya Ntini with Haddin the last man out for the day.

Australia, who are 2-0 down in the three-Test series after defeats in Perth and Melbourne, are looking to avoid their first home series whitewash loss in 122 years.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print