(The Frisky) -- Tabloid culture is pretty cynical about this whole l-o-v-e thing.
Seems like every week, they're predicting the demise of a too-pretty-for-their-own-good Hollywood couple, eager to slap the "Splitsville" headline on their photo.
The latest to receive a pounding of breakup rumord? Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal, who People reported were done yesterday, according to a source close to Reese. But today, Reese and Jake's reps have both denied the rumor.
Even with denials, is it possible that these couples are actually over?
It's certainly easy to think so, especially post Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey, who fought back on breakup rumors for more than nine months before finally acknowledging that everything wasn't peachy keen. But still, I can't help but wonder if these rumors are less reality and more part of the machine that loves to see a famous person swiped off their pedestal. After all, we've heard breakup rumors before that didn't turn out to be true.
Here is a selection of couples who were rumored to be over but -- at least as far as appearances go -- still seem happy together.
• Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jamie Kennedy. In mid-October, People reported that Jamie was no longer in love with Jennifer and was leaving her for his ex, Shannon Funk. But both Jamie and Jennifer say it ain't so. "It's really hurtful that people say that," says Jennifer. "Because he is like the most awesome person." [People]
• Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake. In late September, Us Weekly said it was over. But the two have seemed pretty lovey-dovey ever since. "[The rumors are] weird and sort of bizarre to deal with," said Jessica. "But you have to have a sense of humor about the whole thing. Honestly, I look at a magazine and they know more than I do. You do really have to just get into a place where you feel zen about it." [Ace Showbiz]
• Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen. After Rachel dared to leave her house without her engagement ring in August, tabloids riffed for weeks about how she and Hayden are over. But they're still together. [Starpulse]
• Nicole Richie and Joel Madden. When Nicole Richie was pregnant with her first baby, rumors flew that she and Joel Madden were having issues. The National Enquirer said they were imminently breaking up. Fast-forward to the couple having baby number two together in September. [Celebitchy]
• Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Come to think of it, has there been a single moment of their relationship where there haven't been breakup rumors? And yet, they're together four years later.
• Pete Wentz and Ashlee Simpson. Gossip websites had Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz splitting back in 2007, since Pete is messy, Ashlee is bossy, and her family didn't approve of him. Surprise. They're still together. And kind of cute. [Pop Crunch]
• Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony. In early 2008, New York Daily News said they had on good authority that Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony were splitting. "Marc and Jennifer are planning on announcing their divorce right after Marc's show at Madison Square Garden on February 14," they quoted a friend of the couple as saying. "Jennifer is planning on joining Marc onstage for a surprise duet. Things haven't been right for a while now, and they thought it would be a bittersweet farewell." [NY Daily News]
All I'm sayin' is ... don't believe everything you hear!
TM & © 2010 TMV, Inc. | All Rights Reserved