Asked by John Goldrick, Los Angeles, California
What are good snacks for diabetics to eat during the day?
Diet and Fitness Expert
Dr. Melina Jampolis
Physician Nutrition Specialist
This is a great question, as smart snacking can help keep blood sugar and energy levels stable throughout the day and can help prevent overeating at meals, which may lead to weight gain and poor blood sugar control. Here are a few suggestions when it comes to smart snacking for diabetics (and for everyone else for that matter).
1. Limit sugary, highly processed snacks and beverages like chips, cookies, candy, juice, sugary waters and sodas, which can cause a rapid rise in blood sugar often followed by a subsequent crash, which can lead to fatigue and hunger.
2. Try to combine either lean protein (low-fat dairy is especially good) or a healthy fat such as nuts, nut butters or seeds with a healthy source of carbohydrates such as fruit, vegetables or whole grains.
3. Choose higher-fiber foods whenever possible to slow digestion and cause a more gradual rise and fall in blood sugar.
Here are a few ideas:
1. Plain, low-fat yogurt topped with 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts (add non-caloric sweetener as needed)
2. Carrots and hummus (hummus contains olive oil, another healthy fat source)
3. A half-cup of low-fat cottage cheese and an apple
4. Whole-grain crackers with 1 to 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
5. Half a turkey sandwich on whole-wheat bread with mustard
|Most Viewed||Most Emailed||Top Searches|
CNN Comment Policy: CNN encourages you to add a comment to this discussion. You may not post any unlawful, threatening, defamatory, obscene, pornographic or other material that would violate the law. All comments should be relevant to the topic and remain respectful of other authors and commenters. You are solely responsible for your own comments, the consequences of posting those comments, and the consequences of any reliance by you on the comments of others. By submitting your comment, you hereby give CNN the right, but not the obligation, to post, air, edit, exhibit, telecast, cablecast, webcast, re-use, publish, reproduce, use, license, print, distribute or otherwise use your comment(s) and accompanying personal identifying and other information you provide via all forms of media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity. CNN Privacy Statement.
The information contained on this page does not and is not intended to convey medical advice. CNN is not responsible for any actions or inaction on your part based on the information that is presented here. Please consult a physician or medical professional for personal medical advice or treatment.