Skip to main content

Ex-NFL player Burress enters prison

  • Story Highlights
  • Former NFL receiver Plaxico Burress begins two-year sentence on weapons charge
  • He accidentally shot himself in the leg while at a Manhattan nightclub in 2008
  • Burress was not licensed to carry a pistol in New York or New Jersey, where he lived
  • The New York Giants released him in April
By Chris Kokenes
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Former NFL wide receiver Plaxico Burress surrendered to authorities Tuesday to serve a two-year prison sentence on a weapons charge, the Manhattan District Attorney's office said.

Plaxico Burress enters court in Manhattan in March of this year.

Plaxico Burress enters court in Manhattan in March of this year.

Burress was also sentenced to two years of post-release supervision with permission to travel for business, according to district attorney spokeswoman Tracy Golden.

Burress, 32, pleaded guilty in August to a weapons charge stemming from a shooting incident at a nightclub last year. He pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of attempted criminal possession of a weapon and agreed to serve two years under a plea agreement.

The former New York Giants wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the leg with a .40-caliber semi-automatic pistol he was carrying in his waistband. The incident occurred November 29, 2008, in the VIP area of the Latin Quarter nightclub in Manhattan.

A teammate, linebacker Antonio Pierce, drove him to a hospital and arranged to have the pistol delivered to Burress' New Jersey home, according to a statement from the district attorney's office August 3.

The district attorney also sought charges against Pierce, but the grand jury did not indict him.

Burress was not licensed to carry a pistol in either New York or New Jersey.

No one, including employees of the New York Presbyterian Hospital and the NFL, called the police to report the gunshot wound, as required by law. One hospital worker was suspended after the incident.

Burress became a hero to New York Giants fans in the 2008 Super Bowl when he caught the game-winning touchdown pass from quarterback Eli Manning with 35 seconds remaining in the game.

The following season, Burress' career with the Giants was marred by a series of incidents. He was suspended by the team in early October for missing a practice, and later that month was fined $45,000 by the NFL after arguing with a referee and throwing a football into the stands.

After the gunshot incident, Burress was suspended from the Giants. The team released him in April.

All About Plaxico BurressNational Football League

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print