Skip to main content
/europe

Pedophile appeal nets 200 new leads

  • Story Highlights
  • NEW: Interpol chasing 200 new leads in global manhunt for serial pedophile
  • Interpol Web site logged 30 times more visitors than in an average day
  • 100 photographs show man sexually abusing at least three boys aged 6 to 10
  • Interpol issued appeal for first time in October, arrest made after 10 days
  • Next Article in World »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

PARIS, France (CNN) -- Interpol is chasing more than 200 leads on the potential identity of a pedophile suspected of molesting young boys, just one day after launching a global manhunt.

Interpol has launched a global appeal to identify this man who they say has sexually abused hundreds of young boys.

Interpol has launched a global appeal to find this man, accused of abusing young boys.

The organization, which facilitates global cooperation among police agencies, said its Web site logged 30 times more visitors than in an average day after it made its plea for the public's help Tuesday.

Interpol is trying to locate a man who is pictured sexually abusing young boys in hundreds of images on the Internet.

"'The public's response has been very positive," said Kristin Kvigne, assistant director of Interpol's Trafficking in Human Beings unit, in a news release.

"The smallest piece of information from anywhere in the world could be crucial in identifying this man."

The man is featured in 100 photographs sexually abusing at least three boys between the ages of six and 10, Interpol said.

The organization posted six pictures of the suspect on its Web site.

The pictures came to light in 2006, when Norwegian authorities discovered them in the possession of a man they arrested. Video Watch a report on Interpol's man-hunt »

Don't Miss

"While these images were only discovered two years ago, we believe the photographs were taken between April 2000 and May 2001, so clearly this man will be older than he appears in the pictures," said Kvigne.

Last October, Interpol disseminated pictures of another man whose face appeared in more than 200 images of sex acts with children. It dubbed its operation Vico, because the images were thought to have been taken in Vietnam and Cambodia.

advertisement

Ten days later, Christopher Paul Neil -- a 32-year-old Canadian man who had been working as an English-language teacher in South Korea -- was arrested in Thailand and charged with child abuse.

Following the success of that operation, the organization's general assembly approved a resolution allowing Interpol to seek public help in child sex abuse investigations.

All About InterpolSexual Offenses

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print
Quick Job Search
keyword(s):
enter city:
Home  |  World  |  U.S.  |  Politics  |  Crime  |  Entertainment  |  Health  |  Tech  |  Travel  |  Living  |  Money  |  Sports  |  Time.com
© 2013 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved.