Skip to main content

Court sees aftermath of London bombings

  • Story Highlights
  • Jurors see video evidence in the trial of three men charged with conspiracy
  • One video shows explosion seconds after train leaves Liverpool Street Station
  • Videos also show three of four suspects in London transport bombings
  • Next Article in World »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Videos of the chaos and horrified reactions after the July 7, 2005, London transit bombings were shown to jurors Thursday in the trial of three men charged with conspiracy in the case.

Smoke and dust fill the platform area at Liverpool Street Station on July 7, 2005, after a bomb exploded.

One of the videos shows the explosion of a train seconds after it leaves the Liverpool Street Station heading for Aldgate East. As dust and smoke fill the tunnel, people on the platform rush away, and police head toward the blast.

Another shows bystanders running and ducking for cover after one of the bombers detonated his rucksack on the No. 30 bus. Riders on a nearby bus jump from their seats.

Four bombs were detonated on underground trains at Liverpool Street, Russell Square and Edgware Road, and on a double-decker bus at Tavistock Square. Fifty-two people and the four bombers were killed, and at least 900 people were injured. Video Watch commuters flee as the bombs explode »

Links to the edited videos were posted on the Web site of London's Metropolitan Police, and were played in Kingston Crown Court where Mohammed Shakil, 31, Waheed Ali, 24, and Sadeer Saleem, 27, are accused of aiding the bombers

A series of videos show three of the bombers -- Siddique Khan, Shehzad Tanweer and Jermaine Lindsay -- practicing their moves in various locations on June 28, 2005. The fourth bomber was Hasib Hussain.

One video shows Tanweer and Khan meeting Lindsay outside Luton Station, where the three linger near the ticket counter and one of them stands in line.

Security cameras also captured images of the three men at other blast locations.


Two weeks after the July bombings, an attempted second wave of bombings struck other trains and a bus, but the devices failed to explode properly. More than a dozen people were arrested afterward.

Metropolitan Police said some clips were not released, to protect the identities of members of the public. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print