KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- The Taliban claimed responsibility for a dual suicide attack on Sunday that targeted an Afghan border police commander.
The commander, Abdul Razaaq Khan, survived the attack in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar but sustained injuries, according to the regional police chief.
The attack killed two policemen and wounded 29 others -- including several civilians -- provincial police chief Matiullah Khan said.
But Ahmad Wali Karzai, the head of the provincial council in Kandahar and the younger brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, said the bombing killed eight people -- including six policemen -- and wounded 23 others.
Speaking from an undisclosed location by telephone, Taliban spokesman Qari Mohammad Yousif Ahmadi said two militants from the militant group -- Abdul Matin from Kandahar province and Mohammad Wali from Zabul province -- carried out the suicide attacks.
The bombers were also killed in the attack, which happened at 1:30 p.m. local time, according to provincial police chief Matiullah Khan.
Ahmadi identified Abdul Razaaq Khan as the target of the attack.
Razaaq Khan has been a target of Taliban militants in the past. He commands Afghan border forces in Kandahar province, who prevent insurgents from crossing into Afghanistan from neighboring Pakistan.
His forces have fought and killed several militants in the past in the Spin Boldak district and Waish areas of Kandahar province, which lies on border with Pakistan.
A would-be suicide bomber in Afghan government custody told CNN earlier this year that he intended to target Razaaq Khan, but was arrested by the commander's bodyguards before he could detonate his explosives.