FENGKAI, China (CNN) -- The death toll in southern China flooding has risen to more than 100, according to local media reports.
The flooding, which started last weekend, has added to the misery of a country still struggling after last month's devastating earthquake.
Media reports varied Tuesday on the death toll from the flooding. The China News Agency reported that 112 people have died, citing the China Ministry of Civil Affairs.
The China Daily, also citing government sources, reported that 169 people have died.
The floods have displaced 1.27 million people, according to both sources, with the deaths occurring in 12 provinces in the area. Hardest-hit provinces are Guangxi, Guangdong, Hunan and Jiangxi.
The flooding also has caused the homeless to flee for shelter as they brace for more downpours, the news agency said.
In the area of Fengkai, floods have turned streets into waterways, with many residents forced to travel in rowboats. Watch the devastating effect of the floodwaters »
Water has risen above the first floor of most homes.
The floods also have halted the flow of commerce. In Guangdong province, which is known as the industrial heart of China, factories have closed.
Food prices have skyrocketed, locals say.
The flooding is the latest natural disaster to hit China, which is still reeling from a 7.9-magnitude earthquake that struck southwestern China on May 12 and killed more than 69,000 people.
Floods have destroyed at least 67,000 houses and ruined crops on 2.5 million acres (1.01 million hectares), the China News Agency said.
CNN's Emily Chang contributed to this report.
|Most Viewed||Most Emailed||Top Searches|