KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A U.S.-led coalition raid in east Afghanistan Wednesday claimed civilian lives -- but Afghan officials and the coalition are disagreeing on the number.
A spokesman for the governor of Khost province, where the raid occurred, told CNN that six members of a family died, including two children and a woman.
The U.S.-led coalition said in a statement that troops killed "several" militants and later discovered the body of a woman and a child inside a compound.
The raid occurred in a village in Khost province early Wednesday morning, said Khaibar Pashtun, spokesman for the provincial governor.
In recent months, Khost -- a mountainous region near Afghanistan's border with Pakistan -- has seen a surge in deadly attacks
"At this moment, our information says that all the victims are civilians," Pashtun said. The governor has assigned a team to investigate.
The coalition said soldiers were looking for a militant who had been planting roadside bombs.
When troops reached the village, several militants fired on them, the statement said. Troops returned fire, killing "several" militants. The statement did not specify an exact number.
Inside the compound, troops found the body of a dead woman in a building where one of the barricaded militants had fired at troops from, the statement said. Soldiers found a dead child in another building where a second militant had been killed. E-mail to a friend