Skip to main content

Myanmar opposition leader meets with government

  • Story Highlights
  • Witnesses: Myanmar opposition leader has met with a government official
  • Suu Kyi, under house arrest believed to have met with Aung Kyi, government liaison
  • Security forces believed to killed more than 100 people during September protests
  • Nobel Peace Prize winner detained 1989 to 1995, 2000 to 2002, May 2003 to present
  • Next Article in World »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Opposition leader and human rights activist Aung San Suu Kyi was taken from her home, where she is under house arrest, for a meeting with a government official on Friday, witnesses said.

Activists display a portrait of detained democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, in Myanmar.

Suu Kyi is believed to have met with Labor Minister Aung Kyi, who is also serving as the minister of relations, a position the junta created in early October to be a liaison between government and Suu Kyi. It would be their fourth meeting, if true.

The liaison position was created after a meeting between Ibrahim Gambari, the U.N. special envoy to Myanmar, and military junta leaders.

Aung Kyi -- viewed as a moderate -- was appointed amid international pressure following September's bloody crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrations.

One of the position's goals is to help resolve disputes arising from clashes between pro-democracy demonstrators and government security forces that are believed to killed more than 100 people, including 40 Buddhist monks.

Myanmar's military junta has admitted to detaining more than 2,900 people during its crackdown on the protesters.

The peaceful protests, led by monks, were sparked by a huge fuel price increase imposed by the military government, and quickly escalated.

Video smuggled out of the country showed unarmed protesters being beaten by the military regime's security forces, and one man -- believed to be a Japanese journalist -- was shot and killed at close range.

Suu Kyi left her home around 1 p.m., was taken to a government state guest house, where previous meetings have been held and returned about an hour later.

The detained Nobel Peace Prize winner has been under house arrest from 1989 to 1995, from 2000 to 2002, and from May 2003 until now.

She has been regarded as the voice of democracy in the nation since 1989, when her National League for Democracy won the country's first free multi-party elections. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

All About Aung San Suu KyiMyanmar

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print