MEXICO CITY, Mexico -- Police have detained five people suspected in the kidnapping and killing of a 14-year-old boy in Mexico City, a crime that has sparked nationwide outrage, the city prosecutor said Monday.
Miguel Angel Mancera said three men and a woman were taken into custody Monday and that the fifth detained person -- the alleged leader of the group -- has been hospitalized since last month.
Sergio Humberto Ortiz Juarez, 63, an ex-agent of a Mexican government crime prevention unit, directed the group, Mancera said.
Ortiz has been in a city hospital in grave condition since last month, when he was shot in the chest, apparently by a member of his own group, Mancera said.
He added that more arrests could be made.
Fernando Marti, the son of a prominent businessman, was kidnapped in June; his body was found at the end of July.