(CNN) -- The United Nations' World Food Program on Monday expressed its shock at the "senseless and barbaric" killing of an aid worker in southern Somalia.
Somali national Abdulkadir Diad Mohamed, 33, was apparently abducted on Friday during an off-duty weekend visit to his home in Dinsor, WFP said in a news release. He and the driver of the vehicle in which he was traveling were killed as they tried to escape, the statement said. A third member of the group got away.
"I am shocked by this senseless and barbaric attack on one of our staff," WFP Executive Director Josette Sheeran said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and colleagues."
Mohamed, who was based in Wajid, Somalia, joined the World Food Program in June as an administration and finance assistant. His killing marks the first violent death of a WFP staff member in Somalia since 1993, the organization said. However, five drivers employed by program contractors have been killed in Somalia this year.
WFP said it does not believe Mohamed's death is related to the recent spate of targeted attacks on aid workers in Somalia, which it described as "one of the most dangerous places in the world."
The Red Cross warned earlier this year that Somalia faces the worst famine since the early 1990s. The country's continual armed conflicts in central and southern Somalia have aggravated the situation, hindering people from accessing shelter and medical attention.
|Most Viewed||Most Emailed||Top Searches|