Skip to main content

Protest at Miami high school turns rowdy

  • Story Highlights
  • The disturbance began during lunch hour and involved about 200 students
  • Students say they were angry the principal put a student in a "choke hold"
  • Officials: Police secured the area and got students safely back into the school
  • Several students and police officers were hurt in the incident
  • Next Article in U.S. »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Police were called to Miami Edison Senior High School after a student protest became unruly Friday, officials said.

"A couple of hundred" students were involved in the protest, which began during lunch hour in an open patio next to the cafeteria, said Quintin Taylor, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade School Board.

Minor injuries were reported among police and students, and video from the scene showed several students being led away as if under arrest.

Students told CNN affiliate WSVN they were angry the principal put a student in a "choke hold" Thursday.

Taylor said officials are investigating how the protest, which started peacefully, became unruly.

"Our officers assigned to the school became a target at the school of objects being thrown at them ... books, soda pop, water bottles, milk cartons," Miami-Dade Schools Commander Charles Hurley told WSVN.

The Miami-Dade superintendent of schools issued a statement saying police "were able to secure the area and get students safely back into the school. ... Police will continue to investigate this matter to find out exactly what took place today and ensure that this type of incident does not happen again." Video Watch as some students are led away in handcuffs »

Ten Miami-Dade School police officers received non-life threatening injuries, according to Lt. Iggy Carroll with the Miami Department of Fire Rescue.


Several students complaining of minor injures were treated on scene and one student who said she is four weeks pregnant was taken to a hospital as a precaution after she said she was hit in the stomach, he said.

Some students told WSVN police were using stun guns and pepper spray to break up the protest. Miami Police spokesman Delrish Moss said there was no evidence to support those claims. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print