LONDON, England (CNN) -- Max Mosley's ongoing battle to retain his job after allegations about his sex life is likely to do the one thing that has never happened -- overshadow the glitz and glamour of the Monaco Grand Prix.
Max Mosley, the FIA president, is fighting to keep his position after recent newspaper allegations.
The embattled FIA president's attempts to shore up his position ahead of a confidence vote in Paris on June 3 have been going from one stumbling block to the next.
Mosley will be in Monaco this weekend, where he lives, to make his first appearance at a race since the UK's News of the World newspaper reported that he was in an orgy with five prostitutes that involved Nazi role-playing.
However, if he was planning to use the occasion for some friendly photo shoots and a bit of good PR then he is probably more out of luck than even he thought possible.
Most of the teams and their sponsors will be doing their utmost to avoid any contact with him.
The newspaper's original revelations were given added spice -- something one would have thought nigh on impossible -- at the weekend by British newspaper reports that an MI5 spy had been forced to resign after bosses discovered his wife was one of the prostitutes involved in the orgy.
Mosley, however, has continued to stand his ground, lobbying FIA members by issuing dire warnings about Formula One's future if he is removed.
Writing in a letter released at the weekend, he warns FIA members that it could lose its already loose grip on the sport if he is forced out.
The Briton said the FIA was renegotiating the commercial rights to F1 -- owned by Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management -- and there was a chance it could lose its governance powers.
He said Ecclestone's company had asked for changes to the 100-year commercial agreement governing the sport to reduce its tax liability -- something the FIA could probably concede -- but it was also seeking control over F1's regulation and the right to sell the business to anyone.
Mosley warned this meant "in effect to take over Formula One completely," something that should not be accepted.
In other parts of the letter -- not widely reported -- Mosley directly addressed the question of his resignation.
"I have received spontaneous and entirely unsolicited letters from FIA member clubs representing a total of 85 of our votes [there are 203]. Of these, representatives of 13 votes suggested I should consider resigning. However, representatives of the remaining 62 all urged me to stay.
"A number of informal communications from clubs which had not written indicated a still greater majority in support. Given this majority, it would clearly have been wrong to ignore the views expressed and step down with no further discussions," he wrote.
Mosley pointedly noted "certain major clubs" had been "very active" in calling for his resignation and "seeking support for various hostile initiatives" and saves a lot of his indignation for the U.S.'s AAA.
He also reiterated that "almost all" of his public duties would be fulfilled by his two deputy presidents, giving him the time to progress the current negotiations and safeguard the FIA's fundamental interests.
Revealingly, Mosley's second last sentence is a dig at the News of the World.
"It will also give me time to pursue the legal proceedings I have started against those who have caused so much unnecessary trouble and embarrassment."
Can the FIA have a president who does not attend public events and, while saying he has the sport's interests at heart, is also clearly fixated on his own legal case?