(CNN Student News) -- "Planet in Peril: Battle Lines" airs on Thursday, December 11, at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CNN, hosted by Anderson Cooper, chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, and "The Oprah Winfrey Show" correspondent and National Geographic host Lisa Ling. CNN's award-winning series examines the environmental conflicts between growing populations and natural resources.
Teachers: "Planet in Peril: Battle Lines" depicts environmental struggles in the real world. The scenes and accounts presented may not be appropriate for all students. Please determine whether this content is appropriate for your students.
Before students watch "Planet in Peril," use these questions to focus their attention on the concepts explored in the program:
1. What are some ways that the demands of human existence affect the environment?
2. What are some benefits humans receive from plant and animal species in the wild?
3. List five species of plants or animals that are currently in danger of becoming extinct. How might these extinctions affect human populations?
4. List three occupations that are dependent upon environmental resources. What impacts do these jobs have on the environment? What impacts do these jobs have on the economy? In your opinion, should the economic needs of humans be balanced with the needs of animal and plant species in ecosystems? If not, why not? If so, how?
5. What are some organizations that work to protect the environment? What methods do they use to achieve their aims? In your opinion, how successful are these organizations at raising awareness for the plight of endangered species? In your opinion, are they successful at protecting these species from extinction? Explain.
|Most Viewed||Most Emailed||Top Searches|