Skip to main content

1 dead, 1 wounded in mall shooting near Seattle

  • Story Highlights
  • NEW: Police trying to determine if mall shooting was gang-related
  • Some people said group of teens had been involved in a fight
  • Store manager: "Parents grabbed their kids and ran out of there"
  • Mall placed on lockdown while police search for suspect
  • Next Article in Crime »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- One man died and another was critically injured Saturday evening after they were shot at a shopping center in Tukwila, Washington.

The men who were shot were taken from the Westfield Southcenter on stretchers and placed in ambulances.

Authorities were still searching for the shooter, a police spokesman Mike Murphy said.

A woman who appeared to go into labor and a man who suffered a neck injury as people rushed from the center were also taken to the hospital, Murphy said.

The shooting victims, believed to be in their 20s, were removed from the Westfield Southcenter on stretchers and taken to Harborview Medical Center, Murphy said. He didn't know how many times they were shot.

Eyewitness Chris Plummer told CNN affiliate KIRO-TV there was a fight between a group of 18- to 20-year-olds and one of them pulled out a gun and started shooting. Plummer told KIRO-TV he was standing next to the shooter when bullets started to fly, six to seven shots in all.

Murphy told KIRO-TV authorities are trying to determine whether the shooting was gang-related.

The mall was placed on lockdown as SWAT teams searched store-to-store for the shooter. At least two people were detained for questioning, but neither was the shooter, Murphy said.

Shoppers and employees described a chaotic scene.

"We were coming up from the stairs over there, and then we just heard gunshots -- maybe two or three ... then other people started running, and we started running, too," a shopper said. "It was just kind of crazy."

According to mall employee Hilary Young, "it sounded like a big display dropped, and then everybody went running away."

"I heard that there was a fight that broke out" between the men, she said. People in the store ducked, and employees ran into a back room where they could barricade themselves.

"My co-worker was freaking out, like she was having a panic attack. I was actually pretty OK," Young said.

A store manager said that after the shots were fired, "parents grabbed their kids and ran out of there."

The mall, located about 14 miles south of Seattle, Washington, was expected to operate on its normal schedule on Sunday.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print