Skip to main content

Man jailed for London bomb plan

  • Story Highlights
  • Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, 34, jailed for conspiracy to cause explosion in July 2005
  • Planned to attack London's transit system, two weeks after bombers killed 52
  • Asiedu dumped his explosives in a park after apparently lost his nerve
  • Said in court he knew nothing of the plot until a few hours before took place
  • Next Article in World »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The fifth man involved in a plot to bomb London's transport network has been handed a 33-year jail sentence, London's Metropolitan Police confirmed to CNN Tuesday.

Manfo Kwaku Asiedu: Jailed for 33 years after pleading guilty to conspiracy to cause explosion in 2005 in London.

Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, 34, admitted to a charge of conspiracy to cause explosion in the failed attack that caused panic across the city, just two weeks after the London bombings in July 2005.

Asiedu, a Ghanaian national living in Britain illegally, was arrested after he gave himself up to police in the aftermath of the attacks.

Four other conspirators have already been sentenced to jail terms of at least 40 years after being convicted of conspiracy to murder.

Asiedu was initially also accused of conspiracy to murder but that charge later was dropped.

Lisa Carroll, a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan police, told CNN Asiedu was sentenced Tuesday by a judge in London who recommended he should be deported back to Ghana.

A nationwide manhunt was launched after CCTV footage showed four men -- Muktar Ibrahim, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohammed and Hussain Osman -- attempting to detonate rucksacks containing homemade explosives on three London underground trains and a bus.

The copycat plot came exactly two weeks after the London bombings, which killed 52 and injured around 700.

Asiedu dumped his backpack of explosives in a park in west London after he apparently lost his nerve.

Asiedu, whose real name is Sumaila Abubakari, claimed to a court at an earlier trial he knew nothing of the plan until a few hours before the conspirators went into action.


After arriving in Britain on a false passport, Asiedu began attending a mosque in Finchley, north London, which was also frequented by co-defendant Omar.

He moved in to Omar's flat after a fire at his own home. That flat in New Southgate was later used as a "bomb factory," and police found hundred of bottles of hydrogen peroxide there. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

All About Al QaedaSuicide AttacksTerrorismLondon

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print