LONDON, England (CNN) -- Details emerged Sunday that the British royal family is at the center of an alleged blackmail plot.
Buckingham Palace said the case is a police matter and made no further comment.
Scotland Yard confirmed to CNN that two men have been charged with trying to blackmail an unnamed member of the royal family. The men aged 30 and 40 appeared behind closed doors at the City of Westminster magistrates' court in London last month each charged with one count of blackmail.
It is being reported in the British press Sunday that the men approached the royal household and suggested that they had video tape of a royal taking part in a sex act.
British newspapers have also said that the alleged blackmailers claimed to have tape of a royal aide snorting cocaine supplied by a member of the royal family.
It is reported that the police were then brought in and that a detective posed as a royal official during a meeting with the alleged blackmailers at a London hotel. Two suspects were then arrested. British newspapers report that the men were demanding approximately $100,000 or £50,000 in exchange for not making the video public.
Buckingham Palace said this is a police matter and they cannot comment further.
The judge in this case has banned the media from publishing or broadcasting any information that would lead to the identification of the accused or the alleged victim. E-mail to a friend
CNN's Roger Clark contributed to this report.
All About Buckingham Palace