BRUSSELS, Belgium (Reuters) -- Two Belgians kidnapped in southeastern Iran at the weekend have been released, a Belgian Foreign Ministry spokesman in Brussels said on Tuesday.
"The mother of one of the two people was in contact with her son this afternoon. He said he was safe and in good health, and it was the same for the other person," the spokesman said.
"They gave some information as to where they are but it's not clear for the moment. We will try to do our best to locate the two and give them help," the spokesman said.
An Iranian official was quoted on Monday as saying they had been abducted by a bandit group led by Ismael Shahbakhsh which demanded that his brother be freed in return for their release. E-mail to a friend
Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.