(CNN) -- Initial reports from China's quality control watchdog have confirmed U.S. findings that exports of Aqua Dots toys were contaminated with a toxic chemical that turns into a powerful "date rape" drug if swallowed, according to state-run Xinhua news agency.
Bindeez, named Australia's toy of the year, contain a chemical that converts into a "date rape" drug.
China's General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection, and Quarantine (AQSIQ) also revealed that the toxic toys were manufactured by the Wangqi Product Factory in China's southern city of Shenzhen, Xinhua reported.
"Investigations showed Wangqi Product Factory used the toxic '1,4 butylene glycol' as softener in the production, and the product contained 14.5 percent of '1,4 butylene glycol,'" Xinhua reported.
"The Shenzhen factory started to produce the bead toys after its trial products provided to the agent received no objection."
The toys have caused some children who swallowed the toys to vomit and lose consciousness.
An unnamed Hong Kong firm -- an agent of Australia-based Moose Enterprises which produced the toys -- outsourced the toy production to Wangqi Product Factory, according to AQSIQ's initial findings released late Saturday, Xinhua reported.
On Wednesday, U.S. safety officials voluntarily recalled about 4.2 million of Chinese-made toys.
Scientists have found the highly popular holiday toy contains a butylene glycol adhesive solvent that, once metabolized, converts into the toxic "date rape" drug GHB (gamma-hydroxy butyrate), U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) spokesman Scott Wolfson told CNN.
"Children who swallow the beads can become comatose, develop respiratory depression or have seizures," a CPSC statement warned.
The arts and craft beads, which have been selling since April at major U.S. retail stores under the name "Aqua Dots," have also been distributed in Australia under the name "Bindeez Beads."
The Bindeez toys were recalled Tuesday by Melbourne-based Moose Enterprise after three children in Australia swallowed large quantities of the beads and were hospitalized.
"I was so frightened because I thought she wasn't going to make it," Heather Lehane told CNN affiliate Network 7 of her 10-year-old daughter, Charlotte, who was hospitalized in Australia after ingesting some of the beads.
In the United States, the Washington-based safety commission said it has in recent days received two reports detailing the severe effects of the digested beads, which are part of a craft kit aimed at kids 4 years and older.
The CPSC said a boy nearly 2 years old "swallowed several dozen beads. He became dizzy and vomited several times before slipping into a comatose state for a period of time." The commission added the toddler was hospitalized and has since "fully recovered."
The second incident involved a child who vomited, fell into a coma and was hospitalized for five days. It was not immediately clear whether the child had made a full recovery.
Toronto-based toy distributor Spin Master stopped shipping the Aqua Dots toys and asked retailers to pull them off their shelves, where they were previously sold for $17 to $30.
Anyone with Aqua Dots at home should return the product to the company, CPSC spokeswoman Julie Vallese said.
The toy had been named toy of the year in Australia and recently crested Wal-Mart's list of top 12 Christmas toys. Wal-Mart on Thursday listed the toys on its Web site as "out of stock online" and had removed them from their top toy list as well.
This latest recall is part of a larger batch of Chinese-made toy recalls that have swept across the country. Last month alone, U.S. government safety officials and retailers voluntarily recalled at least 69,000 Chinese-made toys over concerns of excessive amounts of lead paint, which can cause hazardous lead poisoning. E-mail to a friend
|Most Viewed||Most Emailed||Top Searches|