Skip to main content
Home World U.S. Weather Business Sports Analysis Politics Law Tech Science Health Entertainment Offbeat Travel Education Specials Autos I-Reports
U.S. News

Police search home of missing woman's lover

Story Highlights

• NEW: Police take prints, DNA swab of Bobby Cutts Jr., read him his rights
• NEW: Investigators seek Jessie Davis' comforter, cell phone
Texas search group to help look for missing mother-to-be
DNA test on found newborn will take two weeks, deputy says
Adjust font size:
Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font

NORTH CANTON, Ohio (CNN) -- Investigators Wednesday evening conducted another search of the home of Bobby Cutts Jr., the father of a 2-year-old boy whose pregnant mother disappeared a week ago.

Stark County, Ohio, police and the FBI are trying to learn what happened to Jessie Davis, 26, who was nine months pregnant when last seen June 13.

Though not officially a suspect, Cutts was fingerprinted, DNA swabs were taken and he was read his Miranda rights, Todd Porter, a reporter for The Repository newspaper in Canton, Ohio, told CNN, citing Cutts' mother as his source. Renee Cutts said her son was not taken into custody, Porter said.

Bobby Cutts, a Canton police officer, is the father of Davis' son, Blake. Police said Wednesday they did not know if Cutts was the father of Davis' unborn child, whom she planned to name Chloe.

FBI Special Agent Scott Wilson told CNN Cutts had not been arrested.

Phil Trexler, a reporter for the Akron Beacon Journal, told CNN that Cutts' mother reported police were searching for Davis' comforter, missing from her home, along with her missing cell phone. A judge signed a search warrant about 3:30 p.m. ET Wednesday, Trexler said.

Asked about the search, Davis' mother, Patty Porter, said she did not know why police had returned to Cutts' home.

"I'm not giving up hope," she said. "I just want to find my daughter."

Stark County Chief Deputy Sheriff Rick Perez said investigators were following hundreds of leads and looking at cell phone records for clues in Davis' disappearance.

Porter told police she had been unable to contact Davis last Thursday and had found 2-year-old Blake wandering alone amid broken furniture at the house.

Police have since said there were no signs of forced entry, but bleach had been spilled on the floor, a bed in the master bedroom had been moved, and a lamp on a nightstand had fallen to the floor. Davis' car and purse were at the home, but her cell phone was missing.

"If there is foul play involved -- and there is evidence that indicates that there is -- there is someone out there that knows something, has seen something," FBI Special Agent Scott Wilson said Wednesday, inviting anyone with information to call the authorities.

Wilson also announced the FBI is offering a $10,000 reward for information.

Baby found on doorstep

The investigation took a strange turn Monday when police were notified of a day-old baby girl who was left in a wicker basket at a residence about 40 miles west of North Canton, in Wayne County.

Susan Redman, a retired school nurse, told CNN's Anderson Cooper that when she saw the basket, she assumed it was a gift of produce from a neighbor.

"I was totally shocked to see a sleeping, beautiful little girl in the basket," she said.

Redman brought the baby inside, out of the 88-degree heat, and told her husband to call 911, she said. (Watch authorities discuss newborn's condition Video)

The baby had a lot of "very thick mucus" in her throat and had trouble breathing, an indication she had not been suctioned at a hospital, Redman said. She turned the baby over and struck its back gently about four times, and told the arriving deputy that the child should go to the hospital.

Redman said that because of her experience as a school nurse and the location of her home away from the road, she believes the baby was brought to her deliberately by someone who knows her and was not related to Davis' disappearance.

Perez on Wednesday said DNA swabs of the baby have been taken and are in the process of being analyzed. Those results, he said, should be available in about two weeks.

Police on Tuesday released pictures of Davis shopping at a grocery store with Blake at 6:25 p.m. on the day she disappeared. They said they hoped it would jog the memory of anyone who may have seen her since then.

Cutts' home searched Monday also

Authorities first searched Cutts' home on Monday. Police also processed a vehicle at Cutts' home. They have not said whether anything of note was found.

Although Cutts consented to the searches Monday, Perez declined Wednesday to describe him as cooperative, saying only that authorities "are continuing to have conversations" with Cutts.

Cutts, who has been placed on paid administrative leave, has said he had nothing to do with Davis' disappearance.

"They continue to say I am not [a suspect], but, I mean, I would be dumb and naive to think they weren't treating me as a suspect just [based] on the different things I've had to go through the last couple of days," Cutts told The Repository. (See the paper's exclusive interview with Cuttsexternal link)

Texas search team joins hunt

Meanwhile, local authorities and the FBI have agreed to let Equusearch, a private, nonprofit search group from Texas, accept the family's invitation to help look for Davis.

"We're holding onto hope that maybe she's alive out there, and that would be the greatest thing in the world," Equusearch founder Tim Miller said Wednesday in Canton. "But we know, realistically, that after a certain period of time that normally doesn't happen."

Equusearch volunteers use vehicles, horses, a camera-mounted drone and sonar to search for missing people. Miller said the group has organized more than 700 searches, recovering about 300 people safely and locating 71 sets of remains.

"This is a very big case for a small county," he said. He called for at least 150 volunteers to show up at a church near Davis' home at 8:30 Thursday morning. He said Equusearch would add $5,000 to the FBI's reward fund.

Miller started Equusearch after his own daughter, Laura, disappeared in 1984; her body was found 17 months later.

"I know this for a fact, people: There is one thing worse than having a murdered loved one. That's probably knowing they're out there dead somewhere and never having a chance to say goodbye.

"... We're not up here for money, we're not up here for ego, we're up here for this family, we're up here for a resource for this law enforcement agency up here, and I think if we all work together, we're going to bring this to some type of a close."



Quick Job Search
  More Options
International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise with Us About Us Contact Us
© 2007 Cable News Network.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.
SERVICES » E-mails RSSRSS Feed PodcastsRadio News Icon CNNtoGo CNN Pipeline
Offsite Icon External sites open in new window; not endorsed by
Pipeline Icon Pay service with live and archived video. Learn more