Iraqi army officers, police are killed
U.S. military announces more deaths; Iraqi general's son on video
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Insurgents launched attacks in Tikrit, Baquba and Baghdad on Saturday, killing four Iraqi security forces and a civilian.
Also, the U.S. military announced Saturday that a suicide bomber on Friday killed two Marines west of Baghdad.
The Marines were with Regimental Combat Team 2, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), the military said.
The attack occurred in Haqlaniya, in Anbar province near Haditha. The number of U.S. troop deaths in the Iraq war now stands at 2,224.
In the other insurgent attacks, 20 people, including five security guards assigned to Iraq's president, were wounded over 24 hours.
In Tikrit, north of Baghdad, two Iraqi army officers were heading to work in a car around 8:15 a.m. when gunmen opened fire and killed them, police told CNN.
The victims were identified as Maj. Maamoun Younis Abdullah and Staff Sgt. Salim Athab. Two of Abdullah's sons were wounded.
In Baquba, a car bomb killed two police officers and wounded eight police officers and civilians Saturday afternoon, an official with Diyala province's Joint Coordination Center said. The bomb appeared to target a police patrol.
A car bomb also detonated near a market in northeastern Baghdad, killing an Iraqi civilian and wounding five others, police said.
The blast went off around 1:20 p.m. (5:20 a.m. ET) near the al-Madinna market in the al-Shaab neighborhood, where a mix of Sunnis, Shia and Kurds live
Late Friday, a roadside bomb hit a convoy of security guards assigned to Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, wounding five of them, said Kirkuk Police Chief Torhan Abdul Rahman.
Talabani was not present at the time.
The convoy of several vehicles was driving from Sulaimaniya to Baghdad, where guards were going to relieve other guards.
The bomb exploded about 11 p.m. local time (3 p.m. ET) in Tuz Khurmatu town, about 70 kilometers (43 miles) south of Kirkuk, Rahman said.
General's son kidnapped
The abducted teenage son of a former Iraqi official appeared in a video Saturday on Al-Arabiya television, saying that his captors were going to kill him unless Iraq stopped cooperating with the U.S. military, the television station said.
Hussein Sabah Abdul-Karim, son of Brig. Gen. Sabah Abdul-Karim, was kidnapped in Baghdad earlier this month, according to an Iraqi Defense Ministry spokesman. His father was a close aide to Iraqi Defense Minister Sadoun Dulaimi, who recently resigned.
The spokesman said Abdul-Karim was shot during his kidnapping, but he did not appear wounded on the videotape. He appears alone on the video with Arabic words superimposed on the video that state, "The Punishment Brigade for the al-Jaafari Government," a reference to the country's prime minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari.
"I am appealing to those who work with the Americans against their countrymen. We are paying a high price for that," the teenager said during the 19-second presentation.
The ministry spokesman said Abdul-Karim is 18 and still in high school. The teen was abducted after he left school. He was placed in the trunk of a car, where he called his father for help from his cell phone, the spokesman said.
Abdul-Karim told his father that he tried to resist the kidnappers but was shot, the spokesman said.
CNN's Mohammed Tawfeeq contributed to this report.
|© 2007 Cable News Network.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.